585,758 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

arduino stepper motor help

I have a an old EDM sinker that I want to control the Z axis using a stepper motor I have researched the parameters I need and the theory I will be using the original cutting power supply I just need to control the Z axis down/up time the dither to maintain constant arc voltage when cutting along with 4 more points speed related

Now the rub,, I no almost nothing about arduino programing I may be even barking up the wrong tree there may be a easier programming option out there for a stepper motor

Any thoughts would be appreciated or help in programming could be remunerated
    I live in Aussie in Port Macquarie NSW

Re: arduino stepper motor help

You may find it easier to use a full pc based setup (such as LinuxCNC or Mach3). That way you pretty much plug your hardware (stepper driver and breakout board) in and a software wizard and you are going.

If you go with arduino you are going to have to come up with a control interface (lcd, buttons etc)
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Plenty of stepper examples out there for arduino. Just find one close and modify as you need. That's how I started with arduino.

Hi which EDM do you have is it Manual (aß i assume) or is it already cnc ?
    If Manual i would Order the Book (aß i have because i think of building an EDM from scratch ) "EDM How to Book" by Ben flemming the Circuit is easy and no need of stepper
    If you EDM is already cnc in x and y PM me Thomas

If the stepper's position is going to be used to maintain a constant arc voltage (which I assume you can sense) you'll probably need a PID algorithm in the control loop.

I was going to use an amp meter and voltage meter to see my current cutting setting are and use 4 variable resistors to change the the cutting conditions stepper speed when cutting the retract speed Time cutting Time retracting I do need a voltage sensor to trigger the cutting timer and adjust the motor dither when cutting... The process has little to do with a fixed cutting speed and more to do with a arc distance the stepper motor turns CW and CCW to maintain a voltage that I have set with one of the pots the cutting voltage falls between 20 to 70 VDC the open circuit voltage is around or above 100VDC So triggering should not bean issue. I am looking at arduino as other than a PLC most cnc stuff dont handle the changing position so well

RussellK that is exactly right I need to set a window of operation when cutting eg <20volts =CW rotation >40volts=CCW ok may be a little wide but that's my idea
    Tkamsker The machine I am using is a old manual Japax DP20 with a Vs1D controller and the Z axis works fine. The second machine is the same but with a different more advanced controller and it is dun-for the stepper driver is OK (as I have swapped them around ) its the rest of the control that's Kput I have had 2 radio techs look at it with no joy and roughly $3500.00 spent the cutting power supply is going fine and working well and is pretty basic The cutting power is always on the DC lines are cut by a relay std 3 phase type 30 amp contacter...and this machine used to cut in both directions Z+ Z- which is uncommon today in basic models These machines are difficult to work on because Japex used 2 steppers joined inline and timed to help stabilize the hunting I guess And I could be wrong so I wish to use A .9deg/ step a 3.5 amp driver and an arduino board with 4 pots VR1 cutting speed 60 to100rpm, VR2 retract cutting speed 100 to 400rpm , VR3 cutting timer .1sec to3sec VR4 Retract timer .1sec to 1.5sec
    A voltage sensing step down board for the cutting trigger as for depth control I have a DRO with a set point alarm to stop cutting there is also buttons up and down for VR1 and up and down for VR2 for positioning the Z prior to cutting and a Begin cutting and stop cutting "Sorry about the war and peace" would this be possible with arduino or am I howling at the moon

Hi,
    so i did some research and bought some stepper shield from adafruit (and then redesigned my project to not use steppers - but
    if you search for arduino shield stepper you get decent hardware Arduino - ArduinoMotorShieldR3
    they normally based on the bridge L298 IC then there are stepper libraries and you can do what you try ,..

here some examples https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...s/arduino-code
    or
    Easy Driver Examples

i think you get some hardware and play a little
    if you have a kind of drawing which shows which situations the software should accomplish it is easy
    i right now have not the time to do the programming and or the testing (i would need the machine then -
    thomas

I am doing the same just waiting for the parts to arrive in the next couple of days .Then I will try my hand at coding I have not done any computer coding in 30 + years and that was basic for the amstrad 64kb?.......... I am showing my age now I do a little g coding for my CNC but that's it

Your advice is greatly appreciated Tkamsker

I will aß my times allow it ..

Hello

I am looking for help with a Japax DP20/VS1D EDM (1982? era) wiring issue.
    The wires normally connecting to the terminal studs on the back of the output panel on the VS1D unit are disconnected.
    As there are several wires of various colors involved, I need to know where they all belong.
    The studs in question are 'positive output', 'negative output' & 'ground'.
    A wiring schematic or a photo of the back side of the output panel would be very helpful.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Chris Larimer
    Service Tech
    E&S Precision Machine, Inc.
    4631 Enterprise Way
    Modesto, California USA 95356
    Phone: 209-545-6161
    E&S Precision Machine, Inc. Home Page