585,919 active members*
3,479 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stuck 3 Jaw chuck jaws

I have a G0602 and I have a 3.5" diameter, 3" long round piece of 6061 stuck in the jaws.

I have been working on the stock for a few days, and now I need to remove it, but the jaws are locked shut. I did not use any coolant, so its not like any grime is in there. I tried each of the 3 key holes, and nothing. Even tried tapping the chuck key with a hammer, and these things are not budging. I can turn them like an 1/8 of an inch in the locking position, and then back the 1/8", but I cannot move it any more than that in either direction.

Anyone have any ideas? I am at a complete loss, did some searching and can not find anything for this. So any advice or ideas would be much appreciated.

Re: Stuck 3 Jaw chuck jaws

I decided to spray some wd40 into each of the jaws slots, I will let it sit over night and try in the am, hopefully this works.

Darn sorry to here about this. What ever you do don't pound on them(jaws). That will bend or worse bake the scrolls in side then the chuck is screwed up for good. When was the last time the chuck taken apart and cleaned and oiled, note I said oil and not grease? I bought a Bison 3 jaw new chuck a while back and before I used it I took it apart to clean and oil it real good and I could not believe how bad it was inside looked like they(factory) put a hand full of sand and grit in it. You might try V-Max from the auto store and few drops of Mystery oil and or Kroil on each jaw.That should lube it up so you can loosen the scroll.
    Good luck
    CH

I have not taken it apart and oiled it in about a year or so, but I very rarely use the lathe. If I can get the jaws unlocked, that will be my first priority.

Hopefully the WD40 will work, if not, I will try some V-Max as you mention, than clean it out really good.

Thanks

The wd40 did the trick. I left it in there overnight and I was able to loosen the jaws and remove the piece.

Today I will try to get it really clean and oiled.

Thanks

Glad you didnt have to resort to extreme measures.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Glad you didnt have to resort to extreme measures.
    Me too! Thanks.

Oiled? On a 3jaw? Should be a light coat of EP2 grease. Oil will just sling out.