585,690 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo will only move in one direction

Question Servo will only move in one direction

The drive is a AMC be25a20ac
    The servo is a ABB type 641.2.30 92/34 (cant find any actual documentation on this one)

In the process of trying to do a basic tune in test mode.
    following the main install guide with references to the drive manual
    This is a bench test, nothing is attached to the mill or the computer as per the manual.
    After much trial and error and consulting the documentation repeatedly it dawned on me that it is a 60 degree motor instead of 120 degrees. Fiddling with the hall sensors I stumbled across 2 positions that would not result in a fault but only one would actually allow the motor to spin. Unfortunately in one direction only. It spins clockwise just fine. CCW however I have to manually turn the motor and it does so grudgingly and will not turn without constant force.
    Oddly I got it to turn better using 120 degree phasing, but it produces a fault condition due to the invalid hall state, if it spins slow enough it will stay in the fault state and you have to nudge it.
    The hall sensors test fine, I don't have an Oscilloscope to verify motor and hall phase relationship. It's just been trial and error with the pin out and watching that blasted fault light on the drive.

Re: Servo will only move in one direction

SOLVED: after searching around and finding this site I came to the realization that all because the motor and hall sensors on the circuit board in the junction box is wired a certain way does not mean that it will correspond the correct way when connecting the drive. If you have no documentation for a motor then start with the HAL sensor leads and then progress to the Motor leads. In my case the motor leads were wrong, it turned one way but rough and wouldn't turn the other, a couple variations later it now runs like the monster that it is.