585,712 active members*
3,934 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Anyone Want These??? Hardinge DSMA Headstock & Bed

Anyone Want These??? Hardinge DSMA Headstock & Bed

Howdy All,

Just wondering if anyone wants these. I have the headstock and bed from an old Hardinge DSMA automated turret lathe.

They are in decent shape. The headstock seems tight.

You can have them for the cost of shipping. They are heavy!
    The headstock might be able to be shipped via USPS, UPS Ground or FedEx Ground.
    The bed will have to be crated and freighted.

Or, if you feel like a drive to the Redding, CA area, they are free to pick up.

Just send me a message.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Attachment 251422
    Attachment 251424
    Attachment 251426
    Attachment 251428
    Attachment 251430
    Attachment 251432

Re: Anyone Want These??? Hardinge DSMA Headstock & Bed

Man I wish you were in OZ! We just don't see stuff like that much at all.

I'd be over in a flash! That's extremely generous of you, I can't see you'll have any trouble passing it on.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Thanks Ian!

I'd really like to see it go to someone that can use it - instead of it just getting melted down.

The big problem is the weight. It just costs so much for shipping.

Anyway, I hope someone can make use of it. It would be a big fixer-upper project.

Cheers, Todd

I am interested in the whole thing. Any idea on what it would cost to ship to CT or how much does it weigh?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Hi Mike,

Well, I just went down to the shed with the bathroom scale. I weigh 223lbs and when I held onto the headstock and stepped on the scale it read 337. So, the headstock alone is 114lbs. I can dead lift two bags of 80lbs secrete at a time. But, when I tried to lift the bed, I can't even get it to start to lift off of the pallet that its on. I can lift one end at a time pretty easily though. So, I gotta guess that the bed is 250-300lbs.

That would make the whole thing (conservatively-over guessing) about 425lbs.

With a crate built around it, I would estimate 450-500lbs for the shipping weight.

The crate would be 4 ft long, 2 ft wide and 2 ft high.

If you want to search around for some costs of shipping that from the 96022 zip code, then you could decide if that's an acceptable price for you.

If you're OK with the shipping costs, I'd be glad to get rid of some of my junk lumber around here and build it into a "palletized" crate for you.

Then we can arrange to have it picked up for shipping later.

I'm on my way out the door tomorrow morning for 11 days on the road for work. I can also try to get some shipping costs, but my work sked is pretty messed up for the next week +. However, I can get this crated up the week of OCT 13-16, if you decide you'd like to do it.

I'd really like to see this great piece of American made hardware go to someone that could use it to build up a new machine or use it to fix another machine - rather than just melting it down.

Let me know.
    Thanks,
    Todd

Hello, On the outside chance you still have the headstock for this machine...I am a professor at Cooper Union NY and my students are building a second operation lathe that needs a 5C headstock. Please let me know if this is still available. It would make a huge difference on our budget. Thanks,

Estuardo Rodas
    41 Cooper Square
    New York, NY 10003