585,735 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > I got a new HURCO KMB1
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: I got a new HURCO KMB1

Quote Originally Posted by tfuqua63 View Post
    The Hardware was delivered yesterday and already ran into a snag. I have single ended quadrature encoders and I need differential quadrature encoders I have to convert the ones I have so I contacted US Digital and have the parts on the way. I think I have this part figured out as to how the encoders are wired to the break out board, should be an easy project.

Now I have been trying to figure out how to wire the servo drives, the ones on my mill are FET servo drives there are seven wires to connect for each axis plus the 2 wires that power each axis.

I need help to figure out where these wires need to go on the break out board there are two pairs with a black and clear and one with a black,clear and white. I believe one pair will connect to the tach but not for sure any help here would be greatly appreciated I have attached some images hopefully this will help

[/ATTACH]Attachment 260452Attachment 260454Attachment 260456Attachment 260458.Attachment 260460
    Once again does anyone have a wiring diagram or drawings for these servo amps ?

Re: I got a new HURCO KMB1

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    I didn't know any of the KMB1's had 5 hp spindle motors. Is it an NMTB -40 taper spindle?

Yes, you can find an encoder that meets your mechanical mounting reuirements, for example 1/4" shaft and screws or glued to motor, and electronic requirements. I didn't look it up, just a guess interpretation of the model number, 1000 counts per revolution, 5 signals a, a', b, b', and z or index.

Once you address the encoder, I would keep the servos and drives and look at Mesa Electronics for hardware interface to your axis drives and controls. I would go with LinuxCNC, but you could use Mach 3 as well.

There are of course lots of other hardware options to provide you that bridge from the PC and controls software to your machine components. It is most probable your servo drives are analog commanded and rely on the 'controller' side to respond to the error or position feedback from your encoders. That is why I recommended Mesa and the LinuxCNC approach. So when you start looking for an interface, look for hardware capable of outputting an analog command if you would like to retrain your drives.

I know this is an old thread, but I must have missed it when it was new. I found it was a lot easier to eliminate the old Randtronics controllers than to work with them. I approached it as sort of a complete retrofit and saved very little of the old electronics.

As to the spindle motor. I got the original manual with my KMB1 and it said it was a 4HP machine, but the data plate on the Leland motor clearly says 5HP. I'm pretty sure the motor is original. I don't run those kinds of loads on it since I am running it on single phase. I set my FS software at 3HP for that machine and try to run less.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Page 3 of 3 123