585,949 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question FIFO buffer control

Hi all.

I have recently changed my computer from one running windows xp to one running windows 7. Since then I have not been able to drip-feed my milling machine. I have investigated and checked my settings several times, and everything seems to be in order. I'm using the same cable so that should also be ok. Now there is only one setting I've not been able to set in windows 7 and I suspect it is where my trouble is located: the FIFO buffering. In xp I set that to low in order for drip-feeding to work, but there doesn't seem to be such an option with windows 7.

Does anyone know a trick to set this FIFO in windows 7? Or does anyone know how else to bypass this problem. I have tried lowering my baudrate step by step down to 110, but this only results in good drip-feeding until tool change. When the machine goes into the tool change macro, the PC does not stop sending information and so I get an alarm 87 in the middle of the tool change.

My machine is YANG Eagle SMV 1000 with Fanuc 0-MD, it is set to baudrate 2400, data bits: 7, stop bits: 2, Even parity, and handshaking Xon/Xoff. These settings have always worked in the past. My computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and settings match those of the machine.

I'm happy to provide more information if I have left something out. I hope someone can help me with this problem.

/Lene

Re: FIFO buffer control

You may change the FIFO buffer size: Devices Manager -> COM port -> Properties -> Port settings -> Advanced
    AGG Software. DNC Precision and CNC Syntax Editor software.

That is how I would do it in xp but that option does not seem to exist in win7. Anywhere else to find the option?

I've verified this path on my Windows 7 SP1 Pro. It exists. Is it possible you use non-standard COM port?
    AGG Software. DNC Precision and CNC Syntax Editor software.

I read somewhere that there are different options for Windows 7 Pro and home premium. Can you confirm this option exists in home premium? I can not find it.

My seriel is called: Logilink PCI Express Seriel RS232. As I'm aware that is a pretty standard COM port?

Since I have now solved my problem I will just give a quick update, in case anyone else encounters the same issues.

The missing setting in Device Manager does not have anything to do with the version of Windows 7. The missing "Advanced" option where I would normally lower FIFO buffering was missing because my new card was a PCI Express Seriel, and not a regular PCI card. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the option to lower FIFO buffering is not available on PCI Express cards. However a kind person at another forum told me I could lower the FIFO buffer in the Registry Editor instead and this is what solved my problem. I link to his answer