585,722 active members*
3,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Lathe threeading

Lathe threeading

Hi

Is there a way in Surfcam to thread a part by taking less of cut as the tool cuts deeper and contacts the thread more?

Thanks

Often the prefered way is the Z index, i.e. every time the thread starts the tool is indexed a fraction in the Z, this results in one side of the tool only cutting.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hi

I can see how this can be done by editing the code. But how would you do it inside of Surfcam? Would that be by changing the number of starts?

Thanks

I am not familiar with Surfcam but if your control has the G-code threading operation that has the Z offset function built in then that is far the easier way.
    Of the top of my head, I cannot remember the the canned G code that does it.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Typically, the G33 is used for single pass threading (spindle sync). This is the long way round and you must program every pass, but this gives total control to the programmer versus relying on the logic of a built in threading cycle.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No, I don't think Surfcam have that future or not what I know of, maybe feature version.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Quote Originally Posted by camtd View Post
    Hi

Is there a way in Surfcam to thread a part by taking less of cut as the tool cuts deeper and contacts the thread more?

Thanks
    G76 will do this and on some machines can also include single side cutting where the tool is fed in at the thread half angle.