585,973 active members*
4,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: warped stock

warped stock

I'm cutting shapes (lots of 1" hexagons) from sheets of corrugated cardboard.

Only problem is, the stock is warped. It's cardboard, obviously a bit of fixturing will make it flat.

Anybody have a suggestion for how to hold the stock so it's not warped? This is particularly crazy in my case since I'm cutting up the stock.

Re: warped stock

Hi,
    not quite familar about your meaning,but when we put small heavy part on both side of corrugated cardboard,then it can cut well,not wraped at all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails corrugated paper.jpg  
    tina from g.weike laser
    EMAIL: [email protected] SKYPE: lysunshine521

Hmm... maybe I can find some small weights, like disk magnets or something, and make a jig to place them automatically? I suppose if I use magnets, I can make an acrylic jig with magnets glued to it. If I line up the laser origin with the jig, a second magnet would make a holddown.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniepoo View Post
    Hmm... maybe I can find some small weights, like disk magnets or something, and make a jig to place them automatically? I suppose if I use magnets, I can make an acrylic jig with magnets glued to it. If I line up the laser origin with the jig, a second magnet would make a holddown.

Magnets is a good solution to fixing the material,
    we use it when working on some light materials, as well.
    www.thunderlaser.com

I'm not totally happy with my solution, but from this thread it's the best solution I've come up with.
    I've used some 1/2" neodymium magnets I had, placed them in a regular pattern on my honeycomb table. I lay the stock down, then put another small stack of these magnets atop the first ones. It's not idea because it means a projection above the stock, and because the stock tends to come loose as hexagons are cut away.

But it's what I've got.

I did a run, and it seems to do the hold down well enough to be happy. I did hit one of the magnets, just grazed it on the edge, and it reflected and made a couple tiny marks on the cardboard, but I think it's fine. I'll put some black acrylic paint on the magnets, though that'll get cut through the first time it hits it.