5,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Clarke CMD10

Clarke CMD10

Hi guys,

Just seen this:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2043&g=106

Mini mill for £300 would that be a good little machine to start with as a mill and to cnc it as well?

Could use it to make parts for a bigger one or that one may do what I want anyway just want to mill some pcbs and small parts for lost foam casting.

Ben

That is a Seig X1 micro mill.
    You can get it lot cheaper ovre here ($259).
    There are extension kits for both the X&Y axis available from little machine shop, but I think there is someone selling the Super X1 (has the extensions) on your side of the pond already.

Aaron

Unfortunately that is the going rate in the UK. The US get the machine for practically nothing. $259 is only a little more than a couple of tanks of fuel in my car.
    Plexer, you need to check out http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/.
    These guys do it for £280 delivered, and it is a far better version of the same machine (it has the extended table/travels mentioned).

yeah the x1 is really not the best choice the x2 would in my point of view be a way better choice and not for a lot less

If you add up the cost to turn a X1 into a super X1, the cost is the same.

The Super X1 is a great little machine if you are aware of it's limitations and are willing to do a hand work in cleaning and aligning.

Aaron

Longrat thanks for the link that looks good especially with the longer table on it.

If anyone has a link to an X2 in the UK that isn't much more than that I would appreciate it but I reckon for a small mill that super x1 is the way to go atm.

Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Longrat thanks for the link that looks good especially with the longer table on it.

If anyone has a link to an X2 in the UK that isn't much more than that I would appreciate it but I reckon for a small mill that super x1 is the way to go atm.

Cheers,

Ben
    I have just finished lugging my new X-1 into my car with the help of a friend

The X-2 seemed to me to be quite a lot of extra bulk for a lot less table travel, though it is obviously quite a bit more sturdy. The X-3 does look nice too, but at 135kg, it's not what I'd call table-top!

Hi Digits,

Where did you get yours from?

Thanks,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Hi Digits,

Where did you get yours from?

Thanks,

Ben
    Hi I ordered it on Monday from ARC Euro Trade, and it arrived, as promised, this morning

It's very cute, but it's pretty solid - 40kg may not sound like much, but you don't want it on your toes!

I've just finished cleaning off all the transport lube and re-oiling it - not sure what else I need to do to get it set up properly. Time to search the forum, I guess.

Cheers.

Digits,

Congrads, now you need to post pic's, of your new addition!! What's your first project? Of course we will need to see pic's of that too!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron111 View Post
    Digits,

Congrads, now you need to post pic's, of your new addition!! What's your first project? Of course we will need to see pic's of that too!!

Ron
    Cheers Ron, for now my first project is building a table for it to sit on, and then some clamps to hold my huge and heavy 100mm raidal milling vice down to those tiny 6mm T-slots!

Got some more tool shopping to do on Saturday though

I emailed Arc Euro to ask how long the special offer on the X1 was going to be and they say for the next 2-3months.

Will have to buy myself one as an early xmas present.

Ben

The X2 is a solid machine, and it is a shame it has the travel limitations it does (there's not an 'upgrade' for it either). Especially in Y.
    I have the X2, the benefits are the extra size to fit in a bigger vice and long tooling, the power, bigger MT3 or R8 spindle size and extra rigidity. Each has its own niche.