585,712 active members*
3,957 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > First time connecting Fanuc 18i to PC

First time connecting Fanuc 18i to PC

Hello everyone!

Since this is my first post on this forum please be gentle. I am a proud operaor of a Quaser MV154p mill with Fanuc 18i op sys. Been doing this for 8 years now and finally got hold of Mastercam x5 software. I have read almost every post about connecting the two together but i thought that a new thread with explanations and step-by-step instructions should be done. Since i am a newbie in this situation i got a lotof questions so here i go

1. Will a USB to RS232 with adaptor work? For example in my country there are available the next things:

Oomipood - Otsing - US232R
    SKYCABLE Ãœleminek DB9F - DB25M valatud

Seen them work on a Bridgeport

2. Assuming the cable composition works, what kindof parameter settings do i have to make in the Quaser? An instruction would be nice

3. Running a win 7 on my computer, will the computer recognize the cable/quaser in the USB? If not, what should be done? heard about changing the settings of the USB to a COM port. Also instructions would be nice

4. If these connections done, what is the next step? How do i know the two are communicating?

5. Suppose they are communicating. I open Mastercam, Are there any settings to be done or will the program recognize Quaser? Read about something about a post processor but can i get it for my machine? Also a total mystery land for me

For now i think this is about it. Can't connect anything unitl monday but i woulld like to be prepared because i do not have access to internet at work. I really like to take my CNC skillsto a higher level so any help is welcome

Cheers!

Re: First time connecting Fanuc 18i to PC

So, got the cables, made changes to the 25 pin to 9 pin and - its a miracle! It communicates. Tried to send some program parts to the machine and it came thru. Now the next step.
    I want to understand how does this work? I mean does it just send the program to the machine by storing it in the memory (which i do not have much)? If so, after receiving it where is it stored? Does it occupy an avaliable program number?
    The next thing is how can i use large program which do not fit in the memory on the machine? Is it somehow connected with the REMOTE key on the panel? Any changes in Mastercam communicator sending options?
    Any help appreciated