584,861 active members*
5,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > get tormachs $2100 4th axis for $700
Page 5 of 5 345

Re: get tormachs $2100 4th axis for $700

Quote Originally Posted by Windscreen View Post
    If need be, if I had a cart next to the mill at about table height, I could muscle it on. I don't have any problems with my 6" machine vice, and this is only 30% more

Realistically, I'll probably put a cheap chain hoist on a short piece of rail near the mill, off to the side of the head. Travel the table over, set the rotary table down, travel table back, now with rotary table centered on the machine's table. I'm really tempted to buy the 6" now, but I think I will regret the limits that places on work holding for the size parts I may want to put on it.

-Steve
    If you end up making some kind of mini rolling chain hoist/cart combo for the table I would REALLY like to see pics of that!!

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    Are you really saying that DIY 4th axis projects dont belong in the Tormach forum? Does that sound right to you?

b
    The thread would probably be better served in either a Tooling or Hobby Project sub-forum. IMHO.

-Steve

On the idea that making tools is somehow a waste of time or some kind of inefficiency.

Anyone who has done significant machining knows its a common, nearly daily activity of the machinist to make fixtures, tools, fix things, adjust things, repair things. Maybe in a huge facility where all the machinists do is hit the green button and load stock, they dont do that. But in any situation where you are basically working alone or with very few other people, part of your job description as a machinist is to do these things. Spending a few hours to attach a motor to a rotary table falls well within the scope of what your duties are, just as making fixtures or improvements to your equipment would be. If all you do is plop stock into a vise and hit go, more power to you, that is pretty ideal. I find that I am constantly improving and upgrading my machinery and fixtures to be more efficient and capable, and do more work, more consistently.

Very rarely is there an opportunity for the small machine shop to save this much money by doing so little work, and end up with such a powerful tool, especially when that work falls so squarely in the typical day to day activities of what machinists normally do anyways.

To quote you.. "WTF rilly?"

So you see no difference in starting a thread saying "get tormachs $2100 4th axis for $700 " rather than "Converting a 4th axis to CNC" which you could have done for the exact same results?

You obviously do not run a business or you would know that yes the cardboard box, printing the receipt, and the toilet paper is part of doing business and needs to be accounted for.

Tormach is a big advertiser on this forum- watch for this thread to disappear into another area- it's happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    To quote you.. "WTF rilly?"

So you see no difference in starting a thread saying "get tormachs $2100 4th axis for $700 " rather than "Converting a 4th axis to CNC" which you could have done for the exact same results?

You obviously do not run a business or you would know that yes the cardboard box, printing the receipt, and the toilet paper is part of doing business and needs to be accounted for.
    In true internet forum tradition you make wrong assumptions about things you couldn't possibly know about people on here.

So let me get this straight, in your logic, someone who owns a Tormach and is reading this forum wouldn't be interested in knowing how much money they can by essentially an identical alternative?

Why do you care about thread titles on an internet forum? So what?

Quote Originally Posted by jdclark View Post
    Tormach is a big advertiser on this forum- watch for this thread to disappear into another area- it's happened before.
    OH MY GOSH I'm waiting with baited breath..will it or will it not happen, so much hinges on it....I'll be watching for sure

Anyone ever consider that someone who is considering buying a Tormach mill might be interested in saving money? Last I checked they were pretty focused on low prices.

you know what I just realized..

there is probably already a ton of off the shelf NEMA motor flange adapter blocks that could simply have for more holes drilled in them to mount to the TSK160...

first one to find one wins.

I put my TSK160 back together and forgot to measure the bolt spacing...looks to be in the neighborhood of about a 1.5" circle..ill take it apart again later

Quote Originally Posted by acannell View Post
    You realize that is verging on paranoid fantasy right? You are essentially saying, I cant buy a rotary table, modify it how I want, and use it for whatever I want, because Tormach relabels the same one and sells it as a 4th axis?

Out of all the things in this thread so far, I think that has to be the most ridiculous.
    Sorry, I may not have been clear. I was suggesting against converting these rotary tables yourself and selling them.

Try being less reactionary acannell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Sorry, I may not have been clear. I was suggesting against converting these rotary tables yourself and selling them.

Why not?

Why would I not be able to convert a rotary table to CNC and sell them? 100% of the parts would be purchased from somewhere besides Tormach. 100% of the custom parts would be designed and machined by me. So why would I not be able to do that?

Is this the twilight zone?

save your breath, this kid is one A1 twirp, read any of his other threads it's more of the same, he knows it all already so don't tell him any different. this is what the bart simpson generation has produced.

That question is valid, but it might not be one you'll want to hire a lawyer to help get answered. Tormach is said to be quick about threatening legal action against people they think are encroaching into their market. Justified or not, it's something that could become very expensive if you and they choose to pursue it in court. And for what? How many kits could you possibly sell before someone else, maybe even Tormach themselves, steps in and undercuts you? Maybe 15?

^^^ I'm in that generation too. Mentioning Bart Simpson and "A1 twirp" reminded me of the "grade A moron" line from The Simpsons...
    Troy McClure stars in MEAT & YOU

That question is valid, but it might not be one you'll want to hire a lawyer to help get answered. Tormach is said to be quick about threatening legal action against people they think are encroaching into their market. Justified or not, it's something that could become very expensive if you and they choose to pursue it in court. And for what? How many kits could you possibly sell before someone else, maybe even Tormach themselves, steps in and undercuts you? Maybe 15?
    You realize there is a practically infinite aftermarket for machine tools which work on multiple machines and all have nearly identical functionality, right? Do you really believe this or is this just a joke? Because I've heard of fanboys but this is really out there.

Right after I posted this I noticed something outside!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waltpermenter View Post
    save your breath, this kid is one A1 twirp, read any of his other threads it's more of the same, he knows it all already so don't tell him any different. this is what the bart simpson generation has produced.
    still here? dont you have better things to be doing? maybe the guys at Tormach would like a backrub

have you been going around browsing through my old threads? gross

This will be my last post about your attitude...

You're mistaking "Tormach threatens to sue people" as fanboyism. Perhaps you live in The Scary Door.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBwt-Z6Jn4

Now show us the working product, any joker can buy a tilting rotary table and say they can make it a cnc table for the cheap.
    But it's just hot air until there is a working one that is actually used to make parts

hirudin can you go away I don't wont to read your posts on this thread any more
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You can ignore other members posts, by clicking on there username and selecting the ignore option.
    Also, has anyone ever heard "don't feed the trolls"?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 5 of 5 345