585,585 active members*
3,679 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

what a bargain !!! ebay dispute

so i saw a whole bunch of ball nose bits on ebay going for £50 and still learning about cnc'ing and having broken quite a few bits i thought it would be a good deal as the bits had only been used on aluminum and looked to be in quite good condition

a few weeks go by and i get the slip to collect the bits .....

so i get to the post office and the guy hands over this little box and as he places it on the table i hear this chatter of bits :-( yup you guessed it .... he just chucked all the bits in a box and posted them off with no protection from the UK to South Africa 10k kilometers plus !

not one bit is okay , they have ALL been chipped to pieces !! the one bit was even snapped ! when i opened the box i got a hand full of sharp little shards

so naturally i reply to the guy and he says i have an attitude, here is my mail

Hello
    I have just received the package and i must say i am bitterly disappointed .....
    because of the packaging, i think just about every bit is now useless.
    they have chattered against each other and have chipped
    when i opened the box i turned the box upside down and inbetween my fingers i could feel all the little sharp chips
    i can send them back to you, and you can decide for yourself ? or i can send a few high res photos if you like >?
    they are in no ways usable, and from the picture on ebay you can see there are NO chips on ANY of the cutters, they look in great condition ! if a little bit of tape was used to tape each one together there would have been no problem.
    please advise
    Thanks

and his reply

Hi
    Firstly I find your attitude rather disturbing, we always endeviour to work with our customers to resolve issues amicably.
    With regards to the packaging, we know full well that everything was secure VERY SECURE, we will however enquire with the delivery service involved to see if there is a possibility of compensation, as for know if you wish to send photos you may do so
    Regards

my next reply as follows

Hi xxxx

I'm sorry you have taken offense
    I have tried to simply stick to the fact's by making statements.
    This is not a postal problem, I don't see how it's their fault ?
    The reason the bits are ruined is because there was no form of protection between them
    Please forward a contact email address for some pictures
    I will also open a PayPal dispute
    Regards

and his reply

Hi
    With regards to packaging we know full well there was no way damage could occur and considering the distance the parcel had to travel we would have been fools not to package correctly
    we are in the process of looking at reimbursement, but should you wish to go to disputes we will cancel this process
    as for emails I cannot forward this to you via ebay which you should know
    we would like to resolve this amicably but will not be dictated to
    regards

my reply

Hello xxxx

Im sorry you feel i am dictating to you
    please let me know the outcome of reimbursement procedure ...
    i am going to attach a random picture to see if you can receive it, if so i
    will take some high quality pictures
    the picture is of a
    motorcycle

Thanks

then he went quiet for a month .... after saying he would get back to me shortly

he offered a £30 refund ......

and now he wants to be spiteful and wants me to send him a bunch of junk to waste my money !

have i been out of line ?

Re: what a bargain !!! ebay dispute

No, but you should have just filed a dispute immediately and let Ebay deal with him.

Is there any chance that the package was opened and inspected at some point during shipping?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

no, packaging was a box roughly 100x80x50 with 32 ball nose bits in it

i tried to be reasonable and give him a chance, so we learn hey !

postage was £28 !

a pic of what was advertised

ill take some pics of what i got in the week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bits.jpg  

This is pretty common unfortunately, best thing to do in cases like these is send an email stating very simply the issue along with a pic or two, and as soon as they respond in any negative fashion, immediately lodge a paypal claim. Then call Paypal and speak to someone about whether they should need to be sent back given they are effectively destroyed. I bought a bunch of CNC drivers from a seller some time back, and they were literally sent loose in a padded envelope, from China! Needless to say they arrived in lots of broken pieces, and Ebay as per their policy wanted me to send them back at my cost, with insurance and tracking. Would have cost me around $40 to to get a $85 refund, so I rung Paypal, and they were happy for me to send snailmail, and they covered half the cost. The policy has changed recently, so you may not be required to send them back, if you can prove they are effectively worthless and unusable.

You could always leave them negative feedback right now, as that will also be the impetus for them to resolve the issue so the feedback can be withdrawn.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Bl@ckrat

This is also what you should not buy of Ebay, anyone that shows carbide cutters even touching one another,like this is only worth scrap value, if a carbide cutter is not in a plastic container, or have a protective coating on it don't buy it, & even with protection, they still need to be packaged very well, just the weight of a carbide cutter, being able to move around in a box will damage it, even if there are only 2 of them

As others have said contact Ebay right away when something like this happens, & take lots of photos
    Mactec54

Bl@ckrat

None of them are ok for metal machining, they may work fine in wood, Never buy used carbide,unless you are going to regrind them, or are buying them for scrap ( Lightly used is the words they use sometimes ) unless they have been reground, & have a protective container for shipping, they are not worth a second look

The larger one's could be resharpened, other than that they are scrap, never buy any cutters that are not in a protective container

Scrap price for carbide is quite high, so you could get some of your money back
    Mactec54