584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Upgrading to DMM

This thread is a retrofit retrofit

I am changing out my old DC brush motors and granite vsd-xe drives for dmm
    I will post lots of pictures starting with mounting the 86M-DHT-72 motors to my series 1 Bridgeport
    This is the biggest obstacle.

First thing is I don't have a mill. Used my lathe to make 3 adapter plates. Roughed them out

Re: Upgrading to DMM

this is what they look like

my dag came for a visit

punch it and bore rinse and repeat 3x

drill and tap

Next up is shaft extensions. Drill, bore, ream

Attachment 253002

This is my x axis

looks great !

is the pulley side supported on a bearing ?

Hey Bl@ckrat,

No they are not supported on the outboard side. I don't think they need to be.
    The shaft extensions I made use the full length of the servo motor shaft. The bore is reamed 14mm and there is no detectable play between the shaft and the coupler.
    The set screws sit down inside the 5mm key slot on each end. This holds the shaft captive. Blue locktite on the set screws. The female part of the coupler is 1"OD and the shaft extension is .625"
    Should be pretty stout.

Here is what they look like installed

VSD drives and BOB coming out (as well as the dc power supplies)

I really really wish I had kept the large control cabinet that was on the back of my Bridgeport instead of the smaller side cabinet.
    Anyways this is what it looks like after removing stuff

I am not too sure if I am going to use the DMB4250-8B breakout board. I have one but I don't need to use it.
    Eding cnc IO is open collector.

My new 60vdc ps have 8200uf caps on each one, is this enough filtering for the DYN2 drives?

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    My new 60vdc ps have 8200uf caps on each one, is this enough filtering for the DYN2 drives?
    That should work well, with there Drives
    Mactec54

Hey Mac thanks for the confirmation

Is this the tuning cable? I am pretty sure it is, just want to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    Is this the tuning cable? I am pretty sure it is, just want to make sure

Yes that looks like it is for the Drive setup, having the RS232 plug on one end, it would have any other use, for their system, other than tuning, the Tuning connection & software is the same as with the first series of the Dyn 2 Drives

I just received some test motors Drives of this new series, the motors & New DYN 2, quality & design is an amazing step forward
    Mactec54

where are these motors from? Who makes them?

DMM Technology Corp. | Home

I am using the 86M-DHT-72 ac motors

Here are some pictures of my wiring. Not exactly a work of art but everything is working. I am going to change out some relays for ssr's this week.
    I will post a video soon of the machine running.

The DMM motor/drive combos work amazing. I am seriously impressed. No messing around with tuning, just set the drive parameters on how you want the motors to behave and your done.

Connections between eding cnc and the new dyn2 drives

I am planning to do the same upgrade and I am curious how you like it now that its in use?

Also how did you put a keyway inside the blind shaft adapter?

Finally where did you buy the DMM servo's and drives?

Quote Originally Posted by boss4 View Post
    I am planning to do the same upgrade and I am curious how you like it now that its in use?

Also how did you put a keyway inside the blind shaft adapter?

Finally where did you buy the DMM servo's and drives?
    Here are some that I did, you can bore right through, & then Broach it just Half the normal key depth, or you a slotter to cut the blind keyway, ( 3 ) different ways I have made them the first is a little more work, but works very well, the third one is making the timing pulley & mounting all in one, this one was for the Z axes changing the ratio to 2:1

You can get the Servo's & Drives from Dmm
    DMM Technology Corp. | Home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dmm Motor Extension.jpg  
    Mactec54

Nice work Mactec.

Is there a package deal with Drives + motors + encoders?

I am planning on using 86M-DHT-72 motors with DYN2 drives.

I emailed DMM for a quote; they don't make it too easy for window shoppers.

Certainly great work mactec.

I don't presently have a functional lathe's so I will probably try to use off the shelf smooth bore pulleys so that all I have to do is drill and ream the centers which I can do on the mill and then broach the keyways.

boss4

The Servo Motors & Encoder are as one Package, the Encoder, is mounted to the Servo Motor & ready to run when you get them, the motors 86M-DHT-72 work well on these Bridgeport Mills & other clones

I will be doing a Video in the next few weeks, of a Bridgeport with these Motors & the 48V Dyna 2 Drives on, Plus another with using the New Dyna 2 Drives with a 70V power supply, & Servo Motors with the new 16 Bit Encoder 65,536 p/r

Do they have a package, anyway you want it, they will guide you,to give you what you need, you want to get your Servo Motors with the 16 Bit Encoders

It is best if you can Bore your Timing Pulleys to the size you need, if you can, if you just drill & ream them, the reamer will follow the drilled hole, so if off a little, the timing pulleys will be messed up

If your machine has the 1:1 Timing Pulley ratio, then that is ok for the X & Y axes, I found it better to do the Z axes 2:1,

You will need to make a shaft Extension of some kind to fit your Bridgeport, you can use your original Timing Pulleys, any of what I showed in the Photos works well

As far as there web site, I think because of all the new changes, in the last few months, it will be work in progress for some time
    Mactec54

Thanks for the advice. After a bit more searching I think this misumo pulley would work for X and Y un modified as long as the adapter plates are thin enough (~10mm), With no need for shaft extenders. Its a bit expensive at $60 but has the correct bore and keyway. Being intended for a 1.5" belt 60mm wide and so would hit the belt without an extender. Some modifications would be required to use it on Z maybe enlarging the shaft hole in the original motor mount so the pulley could pass through.

Timing Pulleys H Type?MISUMI?Product Specifications

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    boss4

The Servo Motors & Encoder are as one Package, the Encoder, is mounted to the Servo Motor & ready to run when you get them, the motors 86M-DHT-72 work well on these Bridgeport Mills & other clones

I will be doing a Video in the next few weeks, of a Bridgeport with these Motors & the 48V Dyna 2 Drives on, Plus another with using the New Dyna 2 Drives with a 70V power supply, & Servo Motors with the new 16 Bit Encoder 65,536 p/r

Do they have a package, anyway you want it, they will guide you,to give you what you need, you want to get your Servo Motors with the 16 Bit Encoders

It is best if you can Bore your Timing Pulleys to the size you need, if you can, if you just drill & ream them, the reamer will follow the drilled hole, so if off a little, the timing pulleys will be messed up

If your machine has the 1:1 Timing Pulley ratio, then that is ok for the X & Y axes, I found it better to do the Z axes 2:1,

You will need to make a shaft Extension of some kind to fit your Bridgeport, you can use your original Timing Pulleys, any of what I showed in the Photos works well

As far as there web site, I think because of all the new changes, in the last few months, it will be work in progress for some time

Sorry guys I have not yet made a video but I have cut some parts
    I've not had a single hiccup since switching to DMM motors and drives and the mill is running perfect.
    Since I am using the original 2:1 belt gearing and my power supplies are 60vdc I am limited to 4318mm/min rapid but that is plenty fast for this knee mill.

I have to make some soft jaws today to machine a part, will set up my camera and get a video this time

Overall I am very happy I switched to DMM and wish I had done so years ago

Page 1 of 2 12