585,685 active members*
4,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Looking for help to add a servo motor to a press brake back gauge

Looking for help to add a servo motor to a press brake back gauge

Hi all, I'm looking for help. Currently we have a press brake that has a 2-axis back gauge, the up and down is manual. What I'm looking to do is use a servo motor instead of the hand crank for height adjustment. My problem is I don't have a clue on size of motor whether it needs a gearbox and what power source to use ie: 110 or 24v. I just need a simple rocker switch to activate up and down.

Re: Looking for help to add a servo motor to a press brake back gauge

The easiest thing for you to do would be to call teknic.com and talk to an engineer. They can walk you through motor selection and sizing. The Clearpath MC series will let you use a single switch up-off-down to control the height.

Thank you, I'll give them a call.

A small DC gear motor and speed controller would most likely be the best for this application. 120VAC or 12VDC would be the most common.

Since it's currently a manual adjustment, I would guess about 50 - 60 RPM would be in the ballpark. Measure the required torque with a lever arm and a spring scale on the existing adjuster.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA