585,760 active members*
3,723 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

6040 CNC Router (Chinese)

Hello group, I have a CNC Taig mill which I run with Mach3 and the lead screws are inches so I have set up Mach3 in inches. The new CNC router is metric, so my question is...do I set up Mach3 for this machine in metric? I use BobCAD to program my parts in inches, so now do I need to program in metric in BobCAD to send to the Mach3 that is setup in metric?

Also, this machine has the water cooled spindle. In the winter my shop don't get to warm so can I run anti-freeze in this spindle?

One more question. I am used to machining metal, when I machine wood with this router do I use the same endmills with wood as I would with metal?

Thanks for all the help!

Eric

Re: 6040 CNC Router (Chinese)

You can setup mach 3 in inches or metric regardless of the screws native format. That said you can setup mach3 in metric and if you put a g20 at the beginning of your program the machine will still run in inches. If you put g21 at the beginning it will run in metric.

I can't help with the spindle.

You can use metal cutting tools but you will get much better results with tools designed for cutting wood. The only exception I have found is with ball endmills. I find ballmills used for metal work better for plastic and wood in sizes 3/8 and below.

Ben

Re: 6040 CNC Router (Chinese)

Just use car coolant for your Spindle motor