585,705 active members*
4,326 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool table, tool length management, 'master' tool

Hello all, I have successfully converted an 80's YCM-30 knee mill to run on Mach 3 with the original SEM servos modified to accept US Digital encoders.
    Have made lots of doodads with it so far, but want to up the proficiency / efficiency with regards to tool management.

Currently, my tool length compensation technique has been to touch each to to be used on the top of the workpiece and do nothing with the Z axis in the fixture offset. This works ok, but isn't practical / graceful or best use of limited shop time.

I've found references to using a 'master' tool in which whenever it is used, it adjusts the other tools in the tool table a corresponding difference. I.E.; if tool #0 offset is initially set to 1.00" (like on top of stock) and is later changed to 1.020" then once changed all other tools in the table change the same .020" difference between the initial 1.00" and the new 1.020".

Seems straightforward and logical, but I haven't found any detail explaining how to do it. I'd read on the CNCCookbook blog about using tool 0 this way, but was unsuccessful in doing it on my machine. Whenever I tried adjusting tool #0 nothing would happen.

Thanks in advance,

Daryl Stamp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Tool table, tool length management, 'master' tool

Are you using G43 Hx in your g-code?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes, all tool lengths are good (when I set them correctly), it's just that whenever I change workpiece thickness or change the knee position, I have to adjust all tools again.

Still looking for input on this; what methods do people use to adjust tool lengths en-masse once the top of stock has change? I.E.; seems like setting all tools once to table or top of vice or something similar, then using one tool to set top of stock is the right approach, but haven't been successful with it.

See if this works for you it is calle the master tool method. First Never use tool 0 for most purposes it does not exist in real life. Gather your 5 tools , Take the LONGEST tool of the set and use it as the master. Use whatever method you chose and find the top of Zero point you are setting to. Part,guage block top of table , whatever. With the longest tool touch off on the surface. Now set Mach to Z0.000. NOW take the other 4 and touch off to the same spot. Record the Z values for each. These are you offset numbers for each tool as compared to the master tool. Now go to the tool table. Set your Master tool to ZERO height offset(0.0000) then add in the offset values for all the other tools in your set.

Now get your material set and ready to go. Touch off on the material with your master tool and set Z to 0.0000. NOW all your tools are synced together with the correct offset as referenced to the master tool. I would test with a piece of styrofoam to verify you added in the correct offset values. + or - sets the direction of the offsetting. Don't believe the manual where it tells you to use G43 for + and G44 for - The manual is wrong. You do + or - with G43 .

IF you need to change the intial setting of the Z , raise/lower the head, etc simply retouch off with the Master tool and set the Z to 0.000

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Tried it & it worked on the first change for the 'Master' tool, all other tools set to same level as master changed with it when I selected new Z zero. However, 2nd time it didn't work, then just tried a third time & realized that I did not have 'master' tool number & h value active when I set Z zero the 2nd time. Activated 'master' tool and seemed to work good on third try. Will try again after work to see if get repeatable results.

Been frustrated with this for a while, finally got the hang of it. Main problem was with not understanding that I needed to enter into the tool table the difference between the 'master' tool and the rest of the tools; then setting the master tool length to 0 and then touching off reference location on work piece with just the master tool. A few hours of fiddling and frustration; but now seems logical. Thanks for the help to all, DLS