585,665 active members*
3,839 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Efficiency Workholding

Technology has given us faster machines, more advanced tooling and powerful software packages. Unfortunately the majority of the machining world still uses old technology when it comes to workholding. That's why Pierson Industries developed their patented Pallet Retention System (PRS). The PRS consists of an air actuated base unit, which bolts to the machine table just like a vise, and a set of pallets. This system provides the ability to accurately hold multiple parts as well as move them in and out of the machine in under 20 seconds. This means more spindle-on time and less time spent swapping parts out of a vise. Best of all, we've priced our system to be affordable with starter packages priced at $2495. If you have any questions please feel free to post here or visit our website at www.piersonworkholding.com Once there you'll find customer applications which demonstrate some of the uses of our system.

Nice looking system. What happens if air pressure to the fixture is lost?

I see the pins for location, but I don't see any wedges on the "jaws". What pulls the pallet down to ensure that it is not tipped?

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JPMach View Post
    I see the pins for location, but I don't see any wedges on the "jaws". What pulls the pallet down to ensure that it is not tipped?

JP
    They claim it is patented " Pierson Industries developed their patented Pallet Retention System (PRS)." so you could look at the patent description.

My guess is that it is a system of wedges something like my sketch; red part is the bottom piece, blue the top.

edit: I did not leave room for the piston to go up; there should be clearance above the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clamp.jpg  

looks neat!

Is the pallet held down with Vacuum?

It appears that the base unit has seals around each side. If this is the case, then you would definately lose the pallet if you lost vacuum.

Royce
    www.obcues.com

Nice looking system and has some potential..... But I've done the same thing with Ball-locks, invertabolt, Bullet nose pins and toggle clamps, ...... All at a fraction of the cost, repeatability in tenths, 20 seconds (and better) changes, modularity and without air.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Answers

Hello All,

Well here are some answers to your questions.
    1. The system is spring powered for the locking action and air actuated for the release only. This means the pallet stays securely locked in the event of an air loss. In other words, it's failsafe.
    2. Geof... pretty close on your illustration, but instead of air pushing the locking dowels out, it's springs that do the work. For a closeup view of the locking assembly look at www.piersonindustries.com/faq.php#5
    3. Yes there are black seals around the face, however these are to keep chips and coolant out of the locking area. There is no vacuum created or needed.

Thank you for all your questions and comments. We appreciate your feedback.

Team Pierson
    www.piersonworkholding.com

slick ! do you plan on eventually building tombstones with this type of quick change system
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Tombstones?

Yes, a tombstone version of the system is in the works. We're aiming to launch it in 12 to 18 months depending on how testing goes.

For those who haven't visited the website yet, check this out: 18 parts per pallet held with mitee-bite clamps in our pre-engineered ez-pallets.

Year End Clearance

For those interested, now is the time to buy. We're having a year-end inventory clearance. A Value Starter Package regularly priced at $2495 is now 20% off. $1995 buys a Base, 2 6x12 Pallets and a Connection Kit. Checkout the system at www.piersonworkholding.com.

Cool

Multi part fixturing was my specialty! I have made cartridge plates which held 15 blanks using pins and angle locking clamp strips!
    But no mater how good I made them, they were never programmer proof! The Fadel operators always found a way to z-down into and through the parts to distroy everything!

I guess that was job security!

One of my best fixtures held a 4"x4"x24" aluminum bar with a quick load to an index fixture and a tail center! The parts were arranged so every cycle one whole bank of parts were done 100% The operators had just enough time to flip the parts and reload the next bar and push cycle start!

They all hated the loading, but the job kept them so busy it was time to go home before they realized it! Their days went much faster!

Doing more than one part at a time is a real money maker if done correctly!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by widgitmaster View Post
    ! The Fadel operators always found a way to z-down into and through the parts to distroy everything!

I guess that was job security!

Eric
    ive found over the years that they get crashed or the pieces get scattered all over the shop , then they cry the blues because their 2 hr setup took the full shift and some because they were unable to find what they needed ,
    and these guys still don t get it

but , until that time , it is nice to be properly fixtured