585,982 active members*
4,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Machine will not boot AGAIN

Milltronics Machine will not boot AGAIN

I had this problem a couple of months ago and we had a thread here about it. Last time, new RAM fixed it.

I try to boot our VKM3 Centurion 6 mill and it hangs in different places or just reboots as it tries to load the final conversational screen.

I replaced the RAM again with no luck. The power supply checks out ok.

It flashes a message about "No Video Input" and then reboots right as it is about to finish the boot-up process most of the time.

This machine has led a pampered life in a clean area and has only accrued 145 hours in it's 4 years here.

Here is the old thread, the problems are similar.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22040

Have you tried reloading all of the system software?

I do know that the display functions that Milltronics use is graphics based. What you see as text is some form of bit map rendition. I have seen on our older equipment where this file(or the graphics memory section) gets corrupted leading to control failures, at least in the display section.

In your descrition. It sounds as though the next sequence is ready to transfer display control and then crashes. Unfortunately there are many other initializations going on at the same time. Reloading the system is the least expensive for now. This is a DOS based reload. However I am not sure my reload procedure works on the newer VK3's with Centurion 6. I'm sure Milltronics could walk you through it.

DC

P.S. Before you attempt this. Save any important programs you have stored on the control.

how do I do that? I don't know much about the machine as we inherited it from a faculty member who left. We've only just started really using it as a cnc machine and not as a manual milll.

I do have the system disk I think.

First I would boot it to see the count down sequence. During that portion of the boot, it should give a key(F1, DEL) to redirect the boot to default to DOS. You should have a good handle on DOS syntax commands. Otherwise you may be in deeper doodoo than you can get out of.

While in DOS you can look at all of the files with the DOS DIR /P command to see all of the directories and files. One thing to be aware of is that the drive labels may be bass-ackward. As in the floppy could be the C:\, the HD could be A:\ and internal Eproms(If any) could be B:\. So, verify which is where and keep this in mind for later copying. Use the change directory command (CD\RAM etc.) to change directories, then you can do the DIR /P command to view the files within that or other directories.

It is advisable to make a written list of all the Directories and files within each directory as it is currently before restoring the system. This will help you verify the contents of each directory and the files each should contain after it is restored.

Our restore disks were not in the proper order to do a direct copy transfer. Some files were in other directories on the restore disk that the tech needed to transfer seperately for some dumb reason(Service monopoly games?). I have recreated our disks so all I need to do is a single copy in DOS to transfer all of the files at once as it should be. Our disks and CenturionI, II and IV controls do not have any features that I have found to do a full restore in one key stroke.

I would still call Milltronics and request their step by step restore procedure for your particular control. I do not know what soft keys may be available that could assist in making this a simpler process. Again, having a hand written recorded hard copy of the current directories containinig any and all files can at least help you compare "what was" to "what is" after a failed attempt.

I know what works on our versions, but do not really want to mislead you into oblivion on a version I am unfamiliar with.:drowning:

DC