585,605 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Making a decision on a vise. Any input?

Making a decision on a vise. Any input?

I have been running my tormach for over a year now. I have 2 chinese 4" vises that have really let me down (no suprise). Lots of lift from even the fixed jaw. With that being said I am not looking for the highest end vise on the market. Id love new kurt vises, but they are looking to pricey for me.
    I have an upcomming job where i will need 2 6" vises on the table with a higher level of consistancy between the vises
    I am ready to bite the bullet and get at least a decent set of vises.
    One of my big dilemas is which kind of mounting (cnc with flat sides or tradition with flange at bottom) is better. I dont know if I will ever need to mount a vice on its side, buts its nice to have those options available to you.

Can anyone make any further suggestions as to why or why not for any of these vises:

Option 1:
    TE-CO PWS-6900
    Buy PWS-6900 TE-CO Milling Manual Machine Vises from UseEnco
    Pros: Good reviews of the company of their product.
    I can get them new in box from a family member that works for a tooling company for $400 delivered
    Cons: Old style manual machine style flange may limit me on mounting options in the future

Option 2:
    Conquest CNC 6"
    CONQUEST 6" VERSATILE CNC MILL VISE: Industrial Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    Pros: CNC Mounting style will allow more versatility in the future
    Made in USA
    Cons: Price is pretty much at/above my limit ($500 + ship)
    Not much info available on this company. Actually just found them becuase they make tormachs vise

Option 3:
    Shars 660u
    shars.com - 6quot 660uR Reverse CNC Milling Machine Vise 00004quot
    (link is for reversed vise because they only have one of the regular in stock but its all the same just not reversed)
    Pros: CNC Mounting Style will allow more versatility in the future
    Price is good $380 + ship
    Cons: Shars has some VERY poor feedback (however it seams as though they may be improving)
    Only 1 available at this time. 1 month est till more arrive (this is china though so it could be tomorrow or next year)

Re: Making a decision on a vise. Any input?

In every shop where I specified machines and/or tooling, I specifed QUALITY and vises were always Kurt. The old "hack" buy the best you can't afford is true. Better quality production, longer tooling life etc.
    DZASTR

Can you do the job with a double station vise? Trying to save a buck is only okay for certain things. I would say vises and lathe chucks are not in that category if your trying to accomplish high precision... and repeatability

Kurt nothing else

after 33 years in the trade I have learned the hard way when it comes to vises buy "KURT"
    EVERY time I have tried to save some $$ and buy other brands it has came to bite me in the butt, I have 3 or 4 off brands in the shop and they really don`t even work good on the drill press.
    I have some kurts that have been used daily for over 20 years and there still as good as the day I got them. might not look it but they still work like new. Bottom line is EAT top ramen or drink some cheap beer but spend the money it takes to buy kurt.

Vertex is another really great quality Taiwanese brand modular style vise, this design is probably the most copied Chinese vise on the market. Build and tolerances are exceptional on all of mine, and the price while still pretty high, isn't too bad I think.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!