585,902 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build
Page 2 of 4 1234

Re: [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build

I didn't see which probe you got, but its probably the one that uses 2 out of the 3 wires. If so, then its just like a limit switch that loses contact from multiple directions, x,y or z. Wire it up like a limit switch and assign the pins in mach3 for the probe. I wired a jack to the bob and mounted it to the side of the milling head. I also cut the cord and made it shorter, I only need it to mount in the spindle and connect by the side of the head, no need for a long extension that can get in the way.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BallisticArmsCo View Post
    Made a little progress over the weekend. x and y motor and driver tested and appear to be working correctly. received my bearings and an order from littlemachineshop.com with various tools. Also got a delivery notification for my ballscrews today!

Can anyone help me with the probe wiring? it came with a 3.5mm 3 wire jack that i assume goes on the bob, im just not sure where.

I will post up some photos when i get home.
    The 3 wire is for the LED. 1 goes to ground on the BOB, 1 goes to the pin assigned to the probe and 1 goes to the + of a low voltage supply most likely 5 volt. The ground of that low voltage power supply will tie into the BOBs ground terminal

How a link http://www.wildhorse-innovations.com...-Alignment.pdf
    A lazy man does it twice.

I wired up the probe and the light on the Bob is on and the light on the probe works but it's not showing up in Mach. Also got my boring head set, tormach adaptor, and a few other tools in. The ballscrews look to be in good shape, but the y-axis nut does not spin as freely as the others. Is this something I should be concerned about? Also is it worth it to repack with oversize balls?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

I responded with an opinion on your issue with the probe. I believe the wires are incorrect, not the ground. The other 2, reverse them. The LED on the BOB should only light when the probe is tripped or touched, same for the probes LED. Otherwise your pin assignments looked correct.

Yep I switched those wires and moved the jumper to pull up and it is working now.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Fantastic.

Not much accomplished last night on the conversion other than testing motor tuning and researching spindle control and limit switch wiring. I did finish up the last project I had for the manual mill.

So a couple of things
    1.oversize balls for ballscrews, yes or no?
    2.info on wiring the stock motor to the C11 Bob?
    I have a 12v PS going to the board which is producing around 15v, and from my understanding i should be able to adjust this via POT on the variable output right beside this connection, but im not getting a reading from the anolog output pins. From there it needs to be wired to the F and P2 on the g0704's board?

Sig P229 slide porting and removing factory engraving on the sides.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

1) oversize balls - get it working and measure backlash. Then decide. It is pretty straightforward swap but unless you have an issue why fix something that isn't broken?

2) do you mean for spindle control? If so, look at CNC4PC's C6 variable speed control board - it interfaces to your C11

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Quote Originally Posted by mhackney View Post
    1) oversize balls - get it working and measure backlash. Then decide. It is pretty straightforward swap but unless you have an issue why fix something that isn't broken?

2) do you mean for spindle control? If so, look at CNC4PC's C6 variable speed control board - it interfaces to your C11

cheers,
    Michael
    Yes, spindle control, the C11 has it built in. That's why i purchased it over the c10, so i wouldn't have multiple boards. Just having trouble finding good info on using spindle control with this board.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Ah, I use the C35 so I needed a C6.

Started working on the mounts last night and realized i had ordered the wrong stock. In my haste to get everything ordered i got stock sized for the roton ballscrews instead of the c7. Fortunately the only thing i need to reorder are the stand offs and ballscrew mount for the z-axis, which isn't a big deal since i still haven't received my driver from AT. It does kind of suck though since i don't really have a place locally to get raw metals and have to order online and get raped by shipping. If you order metal online where do you get it? I have been using speedymetals.com but onlinemetals.com seems to have better pricing. They all seem to refuse to use USPS flat rate shipping which annoys me.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Speedy and onlinemetalsupply.com are my two favorite places for stock since I have to get it all online as well, but I just ordered from Stone Tools and Raw Materials on ebay.
    Micro 100 Carbide End Mill, Carbide Inserts items in Stoners Tools and Raw Materials store on eBay!
    Their prices were a bit lower than those two and most ships free.
    Don't like paying $15 shipping for $20 worth of stock from the others.
    They have lots of shorter lengths which suits me sometimes when I just need a little for a project.
    Just checked, I would have spent $19.67 more at speedymetals for exactly the same as what I got from Stoner Tool, got here just as quick by USPS.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Speedy and onlinemetalsupply.com are my two favorite places for stock since I have to get it all online as well, but I just ordered from Stone Tools and Raw Materials on ebay.
    Micro 100 Carbide End Mill, Carbide Inserts items in Stoners Tools and Raw Materials store on eBay!
    Their prices were a bit lower than those two and most ships free.
    Don't like paying $15 shipping for $20 worth of stock from the others.
    They have lots of shorter lengths which suits me sometimes when I just need a little for a project.
    Just checked, I would have spent $19.67 more at speedymetals for exactly the same as what I got from Stoner Tool, got here just as quick by USPS.
    Hoss
    Thats a great find Hoss, thanks!
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Wow Hoss, that just made my week too! I order a lot of stock from OnlineMetals and Speedy and I agree about the postage. I end up waiting until I have a bigger order or I order 6 months worth of stock. I checked and they have a lot of the dimensions I use most at great prices and no shipping. If they only carried sheet aluminum!

cheers,
    Michael

Got the spindle control working!
    G0704 CNC Spindle Control - YouTube
    Shortly after I made this video I tried changing spindle pulley settings and now it just goes to max spindle speed and adjusting the speed doesn't really work. Ideas?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

In spindle pulleys i set pulley 1 with a max rpm of 3000, after turning the spindle on it goes to max and the adjustment works but its in huge increments around 600 rpm. In motor tuning the spindle velocity maxes out at 1500 when it was 2700 before. I've tried to change everything back to the way i had it prior to messing with spindle pulleys but no luck. I deleted the mach3mill.xml file and its still not working correctly, guess i will try reinstalling tonight.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

The file to delete is called linearity.dat not the mill xml.

Also the steps per unit might have an effect on how many increments are available between 0-max rpms IIRC.

What are your PWM settings on the spindle set up page?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post

Also the steps per unit might have an effect on how many increments are available between 0-max rpms IIRC.
    Sorry forgot to mention the linearity, that was the first thing I tried.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post

What are your PWM settings on the spindle set up page?
    PWM Frequency determines the number of steps. The higher the frequency the larger the steps will be. There is no reason at all to go above about 100Hz on the PWM. With a 25kHz kernel speed, you'll have 250 PWM steps at 100 Hz.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Page 2 of 4 1234