584,830 active members*
5,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build
Page 1 of 4 123

[Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build

Well, its time to start converting my mill to cnc. This build will be based off of Hoss's stage 2 plans. This will be a semi production unit, used in my gun business as well as some side projects that i want to start.

Build List

Electronics Automation Technology Inc

1- C11 breakout board
    1- KL-600-48 Power supply
    2- KL-8056D digital stepper driver
    1- KL-8070D digital stepper driver
    2- Nema23 570oz/in stepper motor KL23H2100-50-4B
    1- Nema34 906oz/in stepper motor KL34H295-43-8A
    6- Micro limit switches
    Dell Optiplex 755 1.8ghz dual core cpu 2gb ram
    Mach 3

Hardware

C7 Ballscrews New Ballscrew Kit G0704101015 for Hoss G0704/ BF20 CNC Conversion | Automation Technology Inc
    Bearings from VXB.com
    Oldham Couplers from McMaster.com
    Shims for bearings from McMaster.com
    Aluminum stock from speedymetals.com
    CNC controller box from automationtechnologiesinc.com

Everything is ordered and i'm just waiting on it to get here. The electronics did arrive today and i will get some pictures up shortly.

Re: [Build Thread] Ballisticarmsco's G0704 build

Sounds great. Post a lot of pics.

Welcome to the Zone.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I'm a little disappointed in the control box. It's too small to fit the power supply and the standoffs don't align with C11 Bob. I guess it's partially my fault for not doing enough research. So what is everyone else using to house their electronics? I like the idea cncshopmill used. Also the 8070D is on backorder for a week.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

The electronics and box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1414113371487.jpg  
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Another
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Why not build your own electronics box? When I began my build I just mounted everything to a square piece of plywood, then shortly I enclosed it in a wooden box, and soon will make my own box like the ones pictured

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

That is the box they use for the G540. It is a great box for that since the BOB and 4 drivers are the size of a pack of cigarettes. Add anything else and it gets tight. I always add a contactor and even that alone makes that box crowded. Let alone a few more relays, an additional power supply for limits or something forgotten previously.

Btw, I did as Alax did for years, in fact on the 0704 I havent even built sides to my box! Just a piece of plywood with a PS, 3/5056D's, a PMDX 126 and a interface for my pendant. My next box will be a waterproof Nema box available at any HD. They come in all sizes and they are blank.

On the probe, write Arnie and he sells a ruby tipped shaft. Much more precision than that machined one. Set it up with an indicator to run true and it is a great tool. I use mine to find and map hole and edge locations of existing parts I want to match. Or to recover after a crash and the part pulled free. Reinstall part in the vise or clamps and probe a hole in the part, set the DROs to match the CAD.

Sourcing affordable and easy to use boxes is a PIA! Doing a dry run on plywood is a great idea. That gives you general dimensions. Add another 10% or more for "oh, I need this too" and you should have the basic dimensions. Then trying to find the box itself is a pain and they aren't cheap. Old PC cases are cheap and work but might not be stylish! One comment on boxes, I picked up a couple of nice new NEMA weatherproof boxes a year ago. The steel on these things is thick and a PIA to mill cutouts for connectors, etc. Aluminum or a steel box with an aluminum or plastic face plate would be much easier to work with.
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

I was referring to the large plastic ones. But notice the comment Michael made "oh, I need this too", that seems to happen for us all ;-)

I plan on building a nice box later on but right now i just want something to keep everything clean and tidy. I going to be heading to lowes today to pick up wiring and look at some boxes. What kind of wire are you using to connect everything? I have 18ga shielded that i used to connect the drivers to the BOB, i was thinking of picking up 16ga wire in different colors for the rest of the wiring.

18 gauge shielded from motors to driver and driver to BOB is fine. I used 20 gauge for most of my other connects to the BOB - jacks for the touch probe, home switch jack/s, low voltage e-stop circuit, fan connection, etc. For the AC 120V side, I use 16 g power cord.
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Received the mcmaster.com order today as well as most of my aluminum stock for the mounts. Stopped by Lowes and picked up some wire and a new controller box.

12x12x6 Junction box, should work well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1414209242198.jpg  
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

I see crowding already. You are still missing 1 driver arent you? Any other power supplies? 5v & 12v are almost a necessity and a 24v is said to be the best for relays and noise immunity.

It has plenty of room for my current needs. I am still waiting on the other driver. The 5v and 12v are independent wall plug connections. There are a myriad of ways to mount these and I can always make a stand off if I need to add anything else.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Tried to test motors but I'm not getting any DC from the PS. You can see how I have it wired below, am I doing something wrong or just a bad PS?
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Caleb,

In the image you posted it appears like the A.C. wires are not connected to the IEC socket properly.

See attached drawing for direction.

Image orientation is the front of the socket.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Caleb,

In the image you posted it appears like the A.C. wires are not connected to the IEC socket properly.

See attached drawing for direction.

Image orientation is the front of the socket.

Jeff...
    Thanks Jalessi, that worked.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Made a little progress over the weekend. x and y motor and driver tested and appear to be working correctly. received my bearings and an order from littlemachineshop.com with various tools. Also got a delivery notification for my ballscrews today!

Can anyone help me with the probe wiring? it came with a 3.5mm 3 wire jack that i assume goes on the bob, im just not sure where.

I will post up some photos when i get home.
    Caleb Toungette
    www.ballisticarmsco.com

Page 1 of 4 123