585,925 active members*
3,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC4020HT slow to power ON - Help!

Fadal VMC4020HT slow to power ON - Help!

Greetings Fadal homies,

We have a new-to-us Fadal VMC4020HT w / CNC88 control that is slow to power ON
    after being off overnight. Usually it take multiple episodes of cycling power to finally
    get the machine/control to come on. The operator seems to think that if he leaves the
    main breaker ON for 15-30 minutes before attempting to power ON that it is more
    likely to go READY.

Sounds like a power supply problem but we have no documentation for the machine
    (bought used....) and I'm not familiar with the electronics of the machine/control.

Any knowledgeable responses will be greatly appreciated.

emexcee380

Re: Fadal VMC4020HT slow to power ON - Help!

When you press the green CNC power button and hold it for 3 seconds Do the boards in the side cabinet light up? if not, try replacing the relay on the power supply with a spare one (usually can use coolant 2) and try again. This sould only be used to test and not a permanent solution. if that does not work. sounds like a poers supply.

i agree with above X2

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I was able to get an electrical diagram from a similar machine. I see a DC Power Supply for CNC POWER. On it there is a component "K1". I suppose this is
    the relay you mentioned. I'll be back at our machine this afternoon. Can you advise where this power supply is located? Fadal components don't look like anything I've seen before. (Fanuc.)

Thanks,

emexcee380

That could also be the power supply in the control .. an old PC type unit
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

the relays I am referring to are about 3/8" thick and about 2 1/2" long. the one on the power supply (Side cabinet, top left) will be white. usually above the 2 wires for the 120 vac input.

Hey Guys,

Here's what I found yesterday. Apparently the control has been going READY predictably all along. When I turn ON the main breaker, all the cabinet fans come on. Then, when I hold the green
    CNC POWER button in for approx. 3 seconds I see lights on various control pcbs light up. But when I go to the monitor there is no display. Hmmmmm....... So I pressed the CYCLE START
    button and saw that the Z-axis reference-returns as does the ATC carousel. Pressing the CYCLE START button again the X and Y axes reference-return also.

So......it looks like either the monitor or its power supply / latching relay is N.F.G. ("No Frigging Good") The monitor power supply uses the same relay - GRAYHILL 7052-04-B-03-V - as the CNC POWER dc power supply (K1) so I'll swap / replace that soon. (Couldn't spend much time on the machine yesterday.)

Can someone advise what voltage to the monitor should be? (No documentation for this machine.)

Thanks all,

emexcee380

The relay you are referring to is most likely NOT the problem. I have seen this problem before. The relay is activated by the monitor switch on the front panel. This machine has a lcd monitor right? Have you plugged in a stand alone VGA monitor? If it is a lcd check see if the 12 volts to the monitor is too low. Pull out the plug at the monitor, and check for 12 vdc. You will probably have it. The problem is the power supply does not have enough amps to run it on the 12 vdc circuit. Install a laptop power supply and wire it in to the 120 vac. The output should be 12 vdc . Change the connector on the end ( cut the old one off and wire it to the power supply if you need to ). This should take care of the problem unless the monitor is completely dead.

KTR Machine,

Great response / advice.

We haven't run the machine for a few days waiting on some parts.

I'll do these checks soon and let you know how it went.

Thanks again,

emexcee380

We are experiencing the same problem. Replaced the relay on the board under the display and it took two tries instead of 4 or more to bring up everything normally. Obviously still not fixed. Our tech now thinks it's the DC power supply. I've heard that before and assume that is our issue. Hoping to get a resolution in next couple days.

One challenge is we cannot find a wiring diagram for this machine. It is different than our 3016. This is a Model 906-1 4020HT.

KTR Machine,

Your response was right on the money. We checked the 12vdc to the monitor in the morning when it wouldn't come up and it was only few vdc. After a while the monitor finally came up and
    the voltage to it was 12vdc. So, as you said (and we suspected...) the problem must be the power supply.

Since we have no electrical diagram for this machine I called Fadal CNC and asked them for a part number to order but they said that p/s was not available as a separate item. I think they misunderstood (or I explained it poorly) because that p/s looks like a FADAL item, not a commercially available p/s.

Does anyone know the part number for the p/s that provides 12vdc to the monitor? USIron - what part number did you order?

Please advise.

emexcee380

We still have not replaced the p/s. Tech is trying to figure out what to order. We still have not found a wiring diagram to help figure this out.

Someone must have the answer to this based on all the posts. As soon as we get it figured out I will post the fix.

Whuttup Fadal Homies with slow-to-power-on video monitors ?

I'm sure there are much less costly p/s's commercially available as KTR Machine suggested,
    without an electrical diagram to determine the requirements it's a shot-in-the-dark. So.........
    we ordered the oem unit - ELE-1071 - from FADAL CNC for $280.00. Should be here soon
    and I expect it will solve our problem.

Thanks to all who gave advice.

emexcee380

We ordered the same ELE-1071 power supply and just finished installing it. It is considerably smaller than the original unit. Also about 1/3 the weight. It appears that was our problem. Finished installing it, flipped the knife switch, hit the green button and we were up and alive!

Thanks for the comments and suggestions here on the forum!

Paul
    Aeromach USA

Highway Hawk Aeromach | Motorcycle Handlebars, Seats & Motorcycle Accessories