584,865 active members*
5,004 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > TM1 with 401A signal generator and hypertherm powermax 800 advice!

Cool TM1 with 401A signal generator and hypertherm powermax 800 advice!

Hello all! This is my first post and I am looking for some advice. I purchased a TM1 several months ago and just recently got it home. The table is 120 by 48" and is setup for downdraft. It came with a powermax 800 plasma. I currently run a laser at work and really am not that familiar with plasma, but I wanted a machine at home for sign making, projects, etc... I found this machine cheap but due to the computer that was with it being bad, I have not had a chance to see it run. Basically I am starting from scratch. I have many cds, floppy disks, some paper manuals, and the dongles that plug into the computer. I have purchased a computer since too. Basically I am looking for advice on what size of an air compressor I should purchase for the plasma, and a cheap downdraft setup. What are you guys using?! I'd like to get a decent compressor for the garage like a craftsman unit or possibly ingersoll rand but I don't want to get carried away as I am on a budget. Also where is a good place to get consumables online?! For my dust collector I am basically looking at running the duct work from the bottom of the table up around and out my window for now... wondering what people have for homemade systems? I'm not real computer savy so getting all the software loaded on and figuring out what I need to get this machine up and running is taking some time. My cad software is version 5 I believe and the license disks have a date of December 2001. Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated, I look forward to getting this girl up and running! Thanks.

-Dan

Re: TM1 with 401A signal generator and hypertherm powermax 800 advice!

Torchmate offers lifetime tech support. I also picked up a used TM table and called them up and setup an account for the table info and was up and running pretty quick. I would also suggest pirate 4x4 .com for a great TM tech support forum.

Thanks for the heads up! I will probably be calling before long I planned on it anyways, was just looking for some pointers before I got too deep in the project!

Update: I have been working on this machine for some time now and still am having problems. I called torchmate tech support and they were able to e-mail me version 1 of driver software since it was not listed on the website for downloading (being that my machine was made around 2000 its pretty old). I have all my wiring hooked up and when I turn everything online it seems to connect. When I go to jog the machine in the x or y the indicator lights on the signal generator will light up so I know they are communicating but the gantry has no movement. It looks like all the parameters in the driver software come preassigned so I am not sure what I have to do at this point. The driver box must not be communicating with the signal generator I'm guessing? Inside the driver box are 3 outputs for the stepper motors and they say flashcut cnc on them. Only 2 outputs are used obviously for the x and y. I am looking for any suggestions on what I can do to get my gantry moving.

I am also having trouble with my height control box. It is a white box with a clear side packed full of electrical stuff. There is a black box inside it labeled direct logic 05 and I see several indicator lights on it and none of them light up when I plug it in... however there is a little board next to it with a little red indicator labeled "pwr" that does come on. I can turn the switch from manual to auto or vice versa and try to jog the z axis up or down and I get nothing....

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

-Dan