586,024 active members*
4,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Used Wire EDM market

I have a small machine shop that has some occasional need for wire EDM work and I am considering getting a used EDM to play with. I have looked at the market and it looks like there are some pretty good deals on used machines that are in nice shape. However I have no idea which machines would be a good, reliable, choice. Would the experts out there offer some advice? Here's what I am looking for.
    1) I would use the machine for flat, thru cut parts. Not much need for multi axis or angle cutting
    2) 100 pcs of anything is a big order for me, but I would like to be able to run un-attended, my maximum size is roughly 8 inches square and 1/2 inch thick.
    3) I am concerned about keeping it running and replacement parts, filters, guide, etc. and part availability
    4) I want to stick with a larger brand like Fanuc, Mitsubishi, Sodick, Brother, Charmille, Hitachi etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to know which machines to look at, which ones to stay away from and general prices I can expect to pay.

Thanks!
    Mark

Re: Used Wire EDM market

Have you checked with EDM Network?

Good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by markhas View Post
    I have a small machine shop that has some occasional need for wire EDM work and I am considering getting a used EDM to play with. I have looked at the market and it looks like there are some pretty good deals on used machines that are in nice shape. However I have no idea which machines would be a good, reliable, choice. Would the experts out there offer some advice? Here's what I am looking for.
    1) I would use the machine for flat, thru cut parts. Not much need for multi axis or angle cutting
    2) 100 pcs of anything is a big order for me, but I would like to be able to run un-attended, my maximum size is roughly 8 inches square and 1/2 inch thick.
    3) I am concerned about keeping it running and replacement parts, filters, guide, etc. and part availability
    4) I want to stick with a larger brand like Fanuc, Mitsubishi, Sodick, Brother, Charmille, Hitachi etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to know which machines to look at, which ones to stay away from and general prices I can expect to pay.

Thanks!
    Mark
    The first question you have to ask yourself is "How Much Are You Willing To Spend?"
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

+1 on EDM Network.

I bought a reconditioned Charmilles Robofil 400 from them about 15 years ago. They had a tech show up and set the machine up and train me on the basics of using it. It had a couple of issues from shipping, he ironed them right out. Since I had never owned or used one before all the training for machine maintenance, setup and cutting was invaluable. There is a short but steep learning curve to operating a wire edm machine efficiently.