584,850 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > SIMULATION FAIL; V25 'Error reading machine XML Failed to open file

SIMULATION FAIL; V25 'Error reading machine XML Failed to open file

Had to reinstall v25 in a new folder; sort of working now, have managed to get posted nc files, but simulation gives me the error below;

Attachment 255420

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: SIMULATION FAIL; V25 'Error reading machine XML Failed to open file

Quote Originally Posted by Dstamp View Post
    Had to reinstall v25 in a new folder; sort of working now, have managed to get posted nc files, but simulation gives me the error below;

Attachment 255420

Might try checking that the program has Machine Definitions. Same thing I think happened to me the other day, and had to reload program.

A quick check for me was to check with different Machine Definition that shows up, such as BC_3x_Lazer, my BC_3x_Mill was not showing up.

Cam Part / MillingTools / Default / Current Settings / Machine Definitions

It`s looking like you don`t have your installation in the right place for the software to find the right path to the .xml file that has all your machine simulation data, if the path is not correct then you won`t get a simulation.

In Windows 7 Pro which is what I run BobCAD is in the following file :-

Computer > Win764 >(C: ) > Program Files > BobCAD_CAM > BobCAD_CAM V25

All the other BobCAD files should be here :-

Computer > Win764 >(C: ) > BobCAD_CAM Data > BobCAD-CAM V25 > MachSim > BC_3x_Mill

There you should find your XML file, if you are using the standard default BC_3x_Mill then it will be named "BC_3x_Mill.xml"

If everything is not in those locations then the software won`t have the correct paths to be able to access everything it needs to work properly, check out the above and then check that the settings under "Milling Tools" > Default > Current settings and "Milling Tools" > Part > Current settings are pointing to the correct place, so if you have set up using the default BC_3x_Mill machine then the above paths should show correctly the path to the PP, the NC file folder etc.

If there is no xml file in the directory then try copying and pasting the one attached

Sorry, that`s all I have for now

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Had all directories pointing to correct locations, however still did not work. The .xml file was there, but still not working. One thing I may have done wrong on install that worked was putting data file in Bcad directory; so I went through another re-install to the default Bcad directory that is setup on the installer app. That gave me same error as before (software would not run as in other posts), so I reinstalled in two new directories 'Fresh Install' and 'Fresh Install Data'; but still struggling with getting posting to work, not to mention simulation.

Just to expand a bit on what Rob posted, if you create a new machine in the machine definition system, that machine get's it's own folder under "C:>BobCAD_CAM Data>BobCAD-CAM V25>MachSim". If you made a machine you called "CustomMachine1", then the folder that the XML file would be in is called "CustomMachine1", which would be located in the MachSim folder and the XML file would have the same name "CustomMachine1.XML" which is located in the "CustomMachine1" folder. In the drop down menu for selecting the machine in the Current Settings/Machine Parameters menu, the machine should only be visible if both the folder and the XML file match in name. If you were to copy "CustomMachine1" as a folder and create a new folder named "CustomMachine2", it would not show as an option in the Machine Parameters until you also change the XML file to match (CustomMachine2.XML). Also, if you just copy the XML file and paste it as a copy renamed to "CustomMachine2.XML" in the "CustomMachine1" folder, it will also not be recognized in the Machine Parameters menu. Every machine in the MachSim folder must have a matching folder name and XML file name or it won't work.

Also, you will want to be sure the file path has been provided for the post processor in the Current Settings as well.

Thanks mmoe, you can always explain stuff better than me, I tend to skip over some things due to assuming the OP knows what I`m talking about, cheers mate

Apologies to all, just getting old I reckon

Regards
    Rob

Thanks for the help; I'm not out of the woods yet, but at least feel like I am making progress. Have had to step away from the Cookie Jar lest I smash it into a lot of pieces. Issue now seems to be read write privileges setup on folders, so I'm needing to figure out to login as administrator to that computer (nothing to do with Bobcad I don't think)

Continues to be very frustrating; have reinstalled software (again); letting it install 'as recommended' has resulted in same no-start errors as described earlier. Removed all installs / copies, but when it creates it's own directories it won't work. So, I created a new BobCad-Cam V2 directory and BobCad-Cam Data V2. (Not 25); and select each of these during cues @ install wizard.

Program starts ok and can create geometry, however, the Machine Parameters changes that I make to Milling Tools, Machine, Machne Parameters do not 'stick' and go back to what they were before changing them. WTH? this software was fine, albeit a little hokey in some ways. Always felt like there was a lot of functionality for the $ spent, but after all of this aggravation stemming from a software crash (no changes, updates, revisions, etc. etc.), it's starting to wear thin. Fortunately I'm just a hobby CNC type; I can't imagine how I would feel if this software instability were preventing me from fulfilling commitments to customers.

Sounds like you are not saving your changes correctly, it is a little odd but after doing your Milling Tools > Default > Current Settings > Milling Settings > Parameters/Machine Definition/Posting/Multi-Axis Posting click the "OK" button to close that area.

Now you need to go to Milling Tools > Part > Current Settings > Milling Settings. Check that all the information under the three Tabs "Machine Parameters", "Posting" and "Multi-Axis Posting" are as you set them under "Default > Current Settings", if all are correct as you want them then under the "Machine Parameters" Tab click the "Save As a Default" button and then click the OK button to close.

Now you need to close V25 completely and then re-launch it, now when you go to check your settings they should have "stuck"

It is a very back to front way of doing things to me but once sorted you should be fine, why they ever had setting the Default not under the Default settings is way beyond me

Regards
    Rob

FIXED; (so far, crossing my fingers). Root cause was that I was using in-correct file directory structure. I had a folder named BobCAD-CAM V25 and a folder named BobCAD-CAM Data on the same independent level. In reading through the literature, paying close attention to the input from you guys, I realized that the default installation puts BobCAD-CAM V25 inside of the BobCAD-CAM Data folder.

Even though I had directed the file pointers to the correct locations on previous installs, it wasn't working. So my guess was that there was something 'hidden' telling the software to 'save here' so to speak that I couldn't get to.

When trying to install using the recommended option, it would never work. So I created the folders to install to using the 'recommended' file names and selected them during the 'custom install'.

So far so good, seems simple / reasonable / plausible etc. now that I am on the other side, but I can understand why folks get wound up and unhappy with BobCad. As before, functionality seems like a lot of bang for the buck, but what a PITA when it doesn't. OTOH, I've experienced many instances of angst and frustration at the office when we have an issue with Pro-E, Solidworks, Windchill, MasterCam etc., and that stuff is WAY more $ (just not coming out of my pocket).

Many thanks to all of you that helped me through this, if any of you are in the Fingerlakes area any time, let me buy you a beer.