585,930 active members*
3,568 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Emergency Stop e-stop

Having upgraded my G0704 to a 2.8HP DC motor and KBMM-225D controller, I am currently putting together a new box to hold all the electronics. Of course I need to run an e-stop, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I actually need. This is a 220v (outputting up to 180vDC and 15A) controller but I can't find an e-stop rated at more than a couple of amps at that voltage. I've been shopping all over the internet (automationtechnologiesinc, galgo, mcaster, mouser) and can only find them rated as high as 10amps, and that is only at 110v. You can spend $8 or $80 and the ratings are all the same.

I was about to buy this one until I noticed the rating: Amazon.com: AC 600V 10A Red Sign Mushroom Emergency Stop Push Button Switch 22mm 1 NO 1 NC: Home Improvement

Re: Emergency Stop e-stop

rusmannx,

A contactor on the input (AC) side of the KBMM-225D would be a better solution.
    Use the estop to energize or disable the contactor.

See page sixteen of manual.

Do not switch the D.C. (output) of the KBMM-225D, the surge may cause catastrophic damage.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

As Jeff mentions, try to minimize high voltage to the control panels switches. You are much safer if there is a low voltage interface.
    A lazy man does it twice.

I've learned from some of the very knowledgeable folks here - especially Al_The_Man. I had a thread the last couple of weeks that Al linked to a great resource - find it here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...ml#post1581488

This PDF is great. In general, using a low voltage DC estop circuit (24vdc) is a well accepted way to go. I've converted my system to this and just got it operational last night.

cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

Actually KB use a method for reversal that uses the I1 & I2 terminals to disable and reset the drive, this method swaps the DC pair to the motor and at the same time sets the disable on so that when it is re-started it ramps up as normal, if you just reverse or interrupt the DC without doing this, the motor will possibly be placed with full on line voltage.
    The I1/I2 are interlocked with whatever is doing the switching.
    This was also pointed out by Jalessi in his post.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks guys!

I was considering using a low voltage switch and running it to a relay, but a friend of mine pointed out that if the relay froze open then it wouldn't be a fail safe at all. I have no idea what a "contactor" is but I'll start searching.
    I read the KB manual and it looks like the controller is not to be used for e-stopping the system in any way, so something between terminal block and controller is ideal.