585,997 active members*
5,027 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another enclosure build

I have had three major designs of splash containment. For my #2 PCNC1100 I spent some time on trying to get it to look clean/good. I also had a few minor updates I did over the similar one on machine #1.
    Big feature is I can still access the control panel, I like that option since I didn't want to relocate it. It took quite a bit of time to fit the sheet metal but all in all it is a very simple design. I used ball bearing pulleys for the door rollers and they ride on a 1/4 CRS rod. This makes for a smooth opening and closing of the doors even though the tops just slide steel on steel. All the weight is supported on the rollers. The full width tube steel is 1x1 and the doors are framed with 3/4 x 3/4 TS, all the sheet metals is 20ga steel except for the top in front of the control panel and it's 16ga Aluminum.
    I didn't want to move the machine arm to the front corner like my other mill and like to have everything right there so I mounted all the controls and screen on the right door. The doors are 18" wide each and clear a 6" Kurt as well as my 8" 4th axis motor.

Attachment 255576 Attachment 255578 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1302.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	255580
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Re: Another enclosure build

Very Nice!!

Looks good, I really like your solution to the vise overhang
    M

More pics!! So the monitor is on a moving door? Looks real nice!

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    More pics!! So the monitor is on a moving door? Looks real nice!
    Pics of what part? Yes the monitor and keyboard are mounted on the right door and it rolls open.

Nice, I like the low profile of this design. I had been considering a similar design so enclosure does not block light and view from windows behind my tormach.
    Having to get in and out of machine envelope a lot, I would stress the moving panel and lcd a little to much and be impractical for me.
    Still I like!
    md

I like the short height too - my mill location prevents adding the Tormach PCNC 1100 enclosure to it. Ever consider making them for sale, either privately or through Tormach?

Mike

Pics of the sides. Do you have windows, pull up or the like for pass through? Doors open on complete enclosure. I always wonder about doors on the outside vs inside, the drip factor really. How far around did you run it? It's hard to tell if you went all around.

Your enclosures all look great and improvements in different ways on each other. Great job!

Awesome job !

Thanks for all the compliments. Here are some more photos. End panels are removable with a couple screws. I've not needed this feature yet in 6yrs of machining. Yet. I could easily cover the top on the left side but I haven't found this to be necessary. The design allows to coolant to return to the chip tray, no leaks yet. The electrical cabinet door opens all that is needed is to remove the aluminum cap of the right side.
    Attachment 255836 Attachment 255838 Attachment 255840
    Attachment 255842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP1322.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	255844

That's right on! I would like to come check out your shop!

I'm guessing that you don't do much fly cutting. How does the partial wall work for chip containment? I would think that you would want the walls all the way around the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    That's right on! I would like to come check out your shop!

I'm guessing that you don't do much fly cutting. How does the partial wall work for chip containment? I would think that you would want the walls all the way around the enclosure.
    You can come by for show and tell, let me know. 3 blocks off of US12 at the Idaho border.
    I fly cut some for a flat top and nice finish. I do use the 17mm center cut modular cutter on Alum. and most of the chips seem to stay in the chip tray. With a big shop dedicated to manufacturing and fabrication sweeping the floor is a common event.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    You can come by for show and tell, let me know. 3 blocks off of US12 at the Idaho border.
    In my car now! You have enough beer or should I stop and get some on the way?
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    In my car now! You have enough beer or should I stop and get some on the way?
    If you bring some I drink real beer, Coors Light in a can and there is some usually in the shop mini fridge. None of that fluffy flavored, special brewed just for the season wanna be a beer connoisseur stuff. Just saying.

But in all seriousness I welcome show and tell at the shop, anyone wants to stop by if you are in the area contact beforehand. I know guys that come to the area from all over for the steelhead and salmon fishing and the elk and deer hunting, and bear and chuckars and pheasant...........................

I grew up near where you are (ok, Bend isn't "near" but it is nearer than where I am now). Nice country where you are.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.