584,849 active members*
4,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge CHNC1 with Siemens 810T not communicating

Hardinge CHNC1 with Siemens 810T not communicating

While waiting for a replacement part the power to our machine was shut off and we lost the commissioning data. Since then we have reloaded the data and the controller lights up but it will not run anything else. Seems like there is no communication from the controller to the hydraulics when we try to put it in jog mode to zero the machine. It will not even turn on the work light or any other
    machine function. Any ideas?

Hardinge CHNC1 Ser # CN-2623 - S

Thank you,

Artistic

Re: Hardinge CHNC1 with Siemens 810T not communicating

You did not get them loaded properly it seems.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

We have loaded the data on several times and it seems to have the same results. Would you recommend a slower Baud rate or a different post processor?

Do you have the actual instructions for loading the data? There are specific procedures to do it. You don't just throw them in and your done.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Here they are and they are a ***** to follow, but you have to.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I actually have a local tech that has been installing the commissioning files but having the issues I listed originally. He is telling me that all the
    data is loaded into the memory but not communicating. I was going to try and start all over again using the file / info that you give me, what post
    processing program do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    I actually have a local tech that has been installing the commissioning files but having the issues I listed originally. He is telling me that all the
    data is loaded into the memory but not communicating. I was going to try and start all over again using the file / info that you give me, what post
    processing program do you recommend?
    What do you mean by post processing program? If you lost the data in a short time, you should replace the back-up battery. They should last for months and months when not powered up.

Mike

We replaced the battery but it still showed 3.46 volts. As for as the processing program I am referring to a Post program like paste haste seems like some of the machines are kind of
    picky about which program you use to communicate with the data. I talked to the Tech this morning and he feels pretty confident that all the data files are in there but it is still not responding.
    No alarms and nothing coming out of the interface card. He is wondering now if the logic board is working. When we originally purchased the machine it had been sitting idle without any
    power for (2) years and it had lost the commissioning data. It took a different tech a few days and several different tries before he had it successfully working again. He told us at the time
    to leave them main power on in the back and only turn off the controller to avoid having the problem again. We have done that religiously for several years now and never had a problem
    when then new tech came in he left the power off for 3-4 days and when he tried to start it back up we had lost the data. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help Mike,

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    We replaced the battery but it still showed 3.46 volts. As for as the processing program I am referring to a Post program like paste haste seems like some of the machines are kind of
    picky about which program you use to communicate with the data. I talked to the Tech this morning and he feels pretty confident that all the data files are in there but it is still not responding.
    No alarms and nothing coming out of the interface card. He is wondering now if the logic board is working. When we originally purchased the machine it had been sitting idle without any
    power for (2) years and it had lost the commissioning data. It took a different tech a few days and several different tries before he had it successfully working again. He told us at the time
    to leave them main power on in the back and only turn off the controller to avoid having the problem again. We have done that religiously for several years now and never had a problem
    when then new tech came in he left the power off for 3-4 days and when he tried to start it back up we had lost the data. Any ideas?

Thank you for your help Mike,

Travis
    Still not sure what the "post" program is you are talking about as I ran a search of "paste haste" and found nothing. If you are just talking about a communications program, I use Predator.

I don't know what to tell you about it not working right after you have already loaded the parameters, but in loosing them, there is another battery that can be bad. See the thread I have linked to below. In one of the controller boards there is a memory module that has a battery in it. That can be the one that caused your initial problems but probably not the ones you are having now.

The axises are not controlled by hydraulics they are servo motor controlled. Let us know what actually works and what does not.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hardin...corrupted.html

Mike

Right now the control on button lights up the screen and we can go through all of the function keys there. The only buttons on the lower section
    of the control panel that work is control on or off. The turret, spindle, work light etc. will not work, the tech has jumped them on the back side of
    the controller and they will work but no communication between the controller and servos or other functions.

Okay, this sounds like the problem I had when I was trying to do mine for the first time. If you look at the instructions I sent/attached, I would load the parameters but I would stop at about line 20 because after that it would ask me to dump the PLC stuff and all and I did not want to do that as I thought it not necessary. My machine would come on like yours, but would have no control on the servos etc.

The guy that came to help me out used to work for Hardinge and helped design that machine, then spent 28 years as a tech for them. He is now retired. I have an email into to him right now and I am waiting to hear from him, but don't know how long it might take, or if ever

I believe that he continued on from line 20 of the instructions. The next line before line 21 says:

" NOTE : DO STEPS 21 THRU 38 ONLY IF UPDATING THE PLC PROG
    AND MESSAGES."

I never did that because I did not think its was necessary and I knew nothing of the machines. I was afraid of dumping info that I was not going to be able to put back in. But, I am almost 100% positive that that was all he did was to continue on from that point. I had tried at least 50 times to load the parameters and failed, but when he did that it was done the first time.

So, I'll let you know when I hear from him and I don't blame you if you wait, but I think that is the problem. That's why your servos never come on, the PLC area is corrupt.

Don't know if your tech is just dumping the parameters into the machine or if he is actually following the instructions to the letter, but mine never worked until I did. You can't just load the parameters like you would a program or in a new machine, it has to be to the letter---by the book. You will lose any programs, but that can't be avoided. Besides, you should be able to save any that are not in it now anyway.

You have to remember that these controls are from the mid-80's and are know where near as sophisticated and the newer machine. The Hardinge machine itself he said was way over-built and that is why they still turn out parts today, but the controls were a cheap way to go for Hardinge. They were not top of the line.

Ask yourself, if you had not been shown exactly how to home your machine, how long do you think I would have take you to hit the right buttons to find it yourself. I personally tried for weeks until I finally found a manual.

Good luck-----Mike

Okay, David got back to me and below is what he said. It was early on in the process where there were more things could be done. I remember now that I could not get past line 20.

Here is what he said, so I hope it helps.

Mike

"If the recommissioning is similar to yours, what we did was early on in the process, I do believe.
    Steps 3, 4 and 5, after clearing PLC comm, was there anything else that could be cleared on the menu screen? If so we cleared it.
    If not there, step 6, was there anything else on the screen that could be cleared?
    With yours there was a glitch requiring turning off a function that differed from the recommissioning procedure.

Hope it helps."

Nothing yet but the tech is wondering about some info on the screen.
    In the upper right hand corner there is a DIO that lights up while uploading the files.
    The DIO stays the entire time that TEA 2 is loaded but during TEA 1 it lights up but then shuts off.
    Should this be lit up the entire time while they are loading or is he having problems in TEA 1?

Yep, should stay lit until the end, actually usually until you push end. Check your file and make sure there are no blank lines in the program. That caused mine to stop loading.

Mike