585,665 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

21mb freezing during tool change

My 1998 Leadwell V40 ran for 16 years with almost no problems, then last week it stopped in the middle of a tool change and i can't get it to run since. It has a 20 tool turret that just slides over by an air cylinder.

Now when it goes to do a tool change,
    -it raises the Z axis to machine zero,
    -the turret moves to the right,
    -you hear the tool unclamp and the cone air come on and it releases the tool,
    -then the z axis raises the tool, but after about 1/2 to 1 second of raising the machine freezes and just sits there with the air blowing though the taper.

I don't know much about Fanuc, so ive been going through the manuals and reading online.
    Here is what ive found so far, while the machine is sitting while its still frozen.
    In the diag screen

000 WAITING FOR FIN SIGNAL- An auxiliary function is being executed =0.
    001 MOTION - Travel command of cycle operation is being executed. = 1
    002 DWELL - A dwell is being executed. = 0
    003 IN-POSITION CHECK - In-position check is being done. =0
    004 FEEDRATE OVERRIDE 0% - Feed rate override is 0%. =0
    005 INTERLOCK/START LOCK - Interlock or start lock is input. =1
    006 SPINDLE SPEED ARRIVAL CHECK - Waiting for spindle speed arrival signal. =0

I'm pretty sure it comes down to INTERLOCK/START LOCK stopping the machine

I don't think its a z axis position problem because the faster i run the machine the farther the Z head raises after releasing the tool. If i set the rapid very slow, it just raises a tine bit. It seems like its a time thing always happening about 1/2-1 second after the z starts to raise.

On the web, i found a page that said to check these "soft G inputs" and in G0130 i find that IT3 changes state from 1 to 0 when the machine stops, (but IT1 and IT2 are zero as well )

G0130 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
    *IT8 *IT7 *IT6 *IT5 *IT4 *IT3 *IT2 *IT1

When one of the bits is 0, the interlock signal is input for the corresponding axis (1-8).

I looked at the ladder diagram, but not sure what to do to find the toolchanger switches.
    Its probably a micro switch or a sensor , but i don't know what to do next. How can i see inputs live on the screen ?

Larry

Re: 21mb freezing during tool change

I'd guess you lost the unclamp switch on the drawbar.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I'd guess you lost the unclamp switch on the drawbar.
    I don't think the cnc would let the Z axis raise if it didn't see the unclamp signal , but i will check. When its at 100% rapid, it will move a full 4" before it faults.

Do you know how to display live inputs so i can test switches ? Do i use the ladder display ?

From what i've seen, there sometimes is an assumed time before looking for unclamp. You don't necessarily need to use ladder to troubleshoot switch problems. In your prints there should be an X address for the switches. You can then go to system-PMC-Diag-Status, then search for the X address (x1.7 etc) and see if the bit toggles.

Hey undertire, i think you were right. Thank you very much !

check this out, i posted a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNSu...ature=youtu.be

I havn't fixed the problem yet, but it seems to be the drawbar release switch is out of adjustment. It goes high then goes back to low.
    And now i understand (abit of ) fanuc controls better. I read up on how a plc works and see how the cnc uses a plc to do all its i/o.

i was dead in the water with 2 cnc routers to build before xmas, now there's hope

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larken View Post
    Hey undertire, i think you were right. Thank you very much !

check this out, i posted a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNSu...ature=youtu.be

I havn't fixed the problem yet, but it seems to be the drawbar release switch is out of adjustment. It goes high then goes back to low.
    And now i understand (abit of ) fanuc controls better. I read up on how a plc works and see how the cnc uses a plc to do all its i/o.

i was dead in the water with 2 cnc routers to build before xmas, now there's hope

Larry
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Hello,
    Do you have a backup of the parameters for this machine? Can you share or sell?

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you
    www.doctornumerico.com
    cnc physicians