585,660 active members*
3,241 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Changing from tormach 770 high speed to low speed pulleys

Changing from tormach 770 high speed to low speed pulleys

I looked at the title for all 24 pages of threads to see if some one had talked about setting up SC to change from high speed to low speed pulleys. I ran a program that needed low speed because of the size of the cutter. It was low enough that the machine had some torq problems.
    I've also searched the help files and came up blank. No mention of pulleys or high or low speed settings.

Dave

Re: Changing from tormach 770 high speed to low speed pulleys

Not clear to me what your wanting the cam software to do.
    I don't think sprutcam knows about belt location on pulleys and only generates g-code that sends a command to run a certain speed to mill. The operator would need to change the belt locations for the tools that require it. Mach control interface does have a high/low button that needs to be set for each speed range and this could be what your missing and what sprutcam is not setting for you. I guess Sprutcam post for tormach does not have logic built in to change the high low setting and prompt operator to change belt locations. Most likely this would need to be set with a auxiliary operation that sends a g-code to change speed range and a simple text prompt to operator to change belt locations. I have never run into this before in my programs and will have to look into how that could be done. If other users have done it please explain.
    md

MD
    After searching every place I can think of I have come to the same conclusion. I'll do some testing and see what I find. If during a tool change I can also make a belt change then I'm good with that.

Dave

A normal tool change should allow a belt switch too. I don't think you will have trouble with that.
    Lee

I have a small job that I will test on. half the operations need the spindle in high speed and the other half need low speed. I'll check it out on the job.

Dave

I ran that job this morning. 3 low speed ops and 3 high speed ops. No problem making the change from low to high.

Dave

Except it is a pain if you have the ATC and want to 'automate' everything.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    A normal tool change should allow a belt switch too. I don't think you will have trouble with that.

I am a relative newbie too and always thought about this issue. This may be bad practice but what I have done is figure out what is the worst offender (I.e. Slowest speed needed) and kept the belt on that setting for the ops on the part. This eliminates belt changes but is not the most efficient for cutting. I hope it is ok for the machine since I keep all of the speeds I desire yet don't change the belts.
    I do have an ATC and am trying to streamline my process as much as possible

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    Except it is a pain if you have the ATC and want to 'automate' everything.