586,000 active members*
5,073 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > how to mill inside an area and not over an area?

how to mill inside an area and not over an area?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if there is a way to mill inside a delimited area?

When I choose a polyline that delimits the area I would like to mill, the tool always run over this polyline, at the beginning or the end of the toolpath depending on the offset option I choose (outside to inside or inside to outside).

But I would like the tool to mill only to the tangency of this polyline, and not over this polyline.
    Is there a way to do so?

Thanks.

Jedioliver
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toolpath.jpg  

Use cutter comp. G41 (climb cut) or G42. Not sure how to do it with VM, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for your answer Gerry.

Perhaps there is a way to do so using the post processor editor, but I don't know how?

Any idea guys?

Thanks once again.

Jedioliver

I believe this was discussed at Mecsoft forum.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I have the same problem.
    Is there a possibility to compensate the cutter diameter?

Thanks Andre

The only solution I have find is to offset the curve by half the diameter of the tool I use.
    When it's not possible to offset the curve, I use 2 1/2 Pocketing or 3D Pocketing or 3D curve machining. You have with the last one the option "on " or along the curve.

Then I use the "move" function for the toolpath to duplicate the toolpath on z axis.

Hope this help.

Olivier

As far as I know, in the current VM, A region used as toolpath limiting boundary (not a cutting toolpath) limits the toolpath ONLY not the cutter.
    This is a much desired enhancement IMO.
    Meaning that it does not allow for cutter compensation.
    Using an offset to downsize the region as jedi states is the way that I do it.
    However, the simplest and fastest cutting of the above profile is best accomplished using 2.5D machining methods anyway.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Yeah...hope the new version will offer "on - inside - outside" cutting area option on all milling operations...

Quote Originally Posted by jedioliver View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like to know if there is a way to mill inside a delimited area?

When I choose a polyline that delimits the area I would like to mill, the tool always run over this polyline, at the beginning or the end of the toolpath depending on the offset option I choose (outside to inside or inside to outside).

But I would like the tool to mill only to the tangency of this polyline, and not over this polyline.
    Is there a way to do so?

Thanks.

Jedioliver
    To do this operation in Visual Mill (I'm using v5.0):
    -select your polyline. It needs to be a closed polyline for it to work.
    -asuming you have already selected your tool and feed rates, click "2 1/2 Axis Milling"
    -select "Engraving"
    -in the popup window, you'll have the option to select "On condition" or "To condition." Select "To Condition," then chose whether you want to cut inside or outside your polyline
    -set your cut depth parameters
    -check the Entry/Exit settings. Make sure the Exit angle is set to 0 to prevent trashing parts, tools and vises.
    -generate your toolpath
    -cut parts, bask in glory

Thanks Unabiker for your help.

It's true I have found some good solutions to my problems using 2 1/2 functions of VM5.

Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jedioliver View Post

That sounds like a problem I was having. What you may need to do is tweak the entry/exit parameters for the cut. VM would do everything fine and then slice off at the very end making a nicely radiused gouge.

You can change the direction and length of the exit/retract motions, and sometimes moving the start/stop point of the curve to a different location can help avoid running into another part of the curve (or an adjacent feature.

I don't know why it needs to have a 1/4" or so exit motion - once you've gotten a few thou in X or Y off the wall you are cutting you may as well retract the spindle vertically out of the part.

Moving the start/stop points of different curves can help make for smoother transitions between features.

cheers,
    Michael