585,667 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New Patriot here

As promised my new patriot is here. Picked up yesterday morning from YRC terminal. Bad thing was that they got it on Sunday but wouldn't unload truck till Tuesday because of too many weekend trailers to handle on Monday. Plus they dinged up the bottom table braces. Wished the whole thing would have been on a pallet and not just the table as one. But so far have cleaned up and doing spindle break in now. Computer is ready for hook up now. Just so you know when you purchase the full setup with CNC installed they sent a Dell computer with that is setup with all MACH 3 software. I have gotten all the programs I need installed as well. Came with 80gb hard drive 2gb memory and dual core 2.13ghz cpu with win xp sp3 installed. Hope by end of day to have cnc running. I also purchased 4 axis DRO to make setup easier and for when I do a manual job since is also my backup to my manual lathe and mill.

Re: New Patriot here

Sorry for the oil prints and drips, was oiling everything. But I found what others mentioned. On break in of lathe both front and rear seal are leaking when lathe spindle is in use. Hope will lessen as everything breaks in. If not will address.

Now got the hardware set and working in cnc setup. Got the 3 jaw chuck dialed in to 1 thou runout which is fine for a 3 jaw. Got the tram of mill dialed in by adding 5 thou shim under motor side of lift plate. Then for other angle after locking 5th support side lower motor side 45 thou and locking brings whole mill into tram. This worked for me at least.

Well got cnc all working for mill and lathe. Backlash was .002 for X and Y and Z after slight adjust on collars by handle and the ball screw mounting on Z and .007 on A. Still finding a loose bolt or 2 on some important places but overall very pleased with progress. I am cutting parts via CNC and hope to have production run parts going over weekend.

Congrats on your new bridgemill. Any pics of parts you're running ?

Thank you. Nothing complicated yet. I turn adapters for ice fishermen. Soon back to my mill and lathe parts for machinists which I have cut samples of. I have been getting parts within .001 and backlash down to same which is all I need and knew I could get the machine down to.

Well after weeks of use. The lathe portion can be dialed in to tenths once setup and test parts run. The gcode and proper tool setup are key. After a test part or 2 for a production run setup I can the replicate part after part once all setup is proper. My spindle has .00025 run out. But or is like said before performance is limited by the machinist because you can compensate alot by using the right tooling with proper setup. So for me the lathe peice was the most important because I turn adapters for ice fishermen most of the time. But, the mill portion is another issue, and will be addressed when I have time. The cut quality is poor and alot has to do with a wobble in the spindle. Even with it locked down on the dro you can see it moving up to .001 I can see that the pully is out of round and I will make a new one when I have time. I run linked belt to help with vibration but out of round hardware is a hole other thing. Plus traming is a whole issue when the 5th column end sags, I have added a gas strut to help but my time is limited to work on the mill part so it may be a month or 2 before issues resolved. Also the bracket that raises the spindle visually flexes when raising or lowering so I need to fix that. Also on the y axis you can also see flex at the handle bracket so it adds about 3 thou to backlash. I will fix that when time permits but I have it all dialed in on the lathe so I am happy.

On the Pulley's I think and exchange would be a proper fix? Just my 3cents. If I recall they are a combo bearing / dual shiv press-fit. I could not find these. But did put on TB Woods shiv on the Motor and that was really a big help on spindle noise. As was polishing as noted on another thread. On the bracket that raises the spindle. Mine was a mix of welded parts held w/ a center rod and then machined. It was cracked, flexed a bunch as well. The prior owner of this had run the Z into the piece and did that damage. The 1045 plates will solve that. V groove the quill/brace, re-weld, and then use the stiffing plates you rang me about. when you say wobble in the spindle... Do you think the preload is loose? or it's just floating around in there somehow? Anyway- Did JT offer any suggestions there?

Till I can get it worked on more I am not sure. I think you may be right about preload but I am seeing the pully wobble as it may be crooked or machined off and the entire z shows movement on the dro which may be assembly issues. I figured I would not contact jt till I can at least put my finger on exactly what is wrong with what. I have other machines to help if I need.

I tested my Z axis and can get 3 thou of movement on the DRO by grabbing the spindle at the top and moving it with my hands. If I tighten the Z lock I can get it to less than 1 thou, but the lock has to be pretty tight to have any effect. Is this normal? Seems not so good if you have to leave Z unlock during a CNC program.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackICE1 View Post
    I tested my Z axis and can get 3 thou of movement on the DRO by grabbing the spindle at the top and moving it with my hands. If I tighten the Z lock I can get it to less than 1 thou, but the lock has to be pretty tight to have any effect. Is this normal? Seems not so good if you have to leave Z unlock during a CNC program.
    Exactly what I see and I can't use the a axis to compensate because of the inconsistent sag till I can build a new 5th column frame with gas strut support. I plan to tear my z axis apart till I can get it stable and add some strength to the z axis arm. Which I am getting help with from countryguy.
    Sorry can't help till I get mine worked out

Update. I am now milling some acceptable projects once I worked out a binding in the z axis. Turns out there was a ridge formed where they milled the slot on the spindle assembly it caused large amounts of binding that showed up in backlash. I now have it down to 3 thou in z. I need to upgrade balls in the other axis as they have 5 and 7 thou backlash seen right at the ball nut. But with mach 3 all calibrated I can get circle pockets within 1.5 thou. Look forward to more work on it to hit better.

How was the fit and finish of all your sheet metal pieces? Mine had a lot of flaking powder-coat and none seemed to have any square edges. How about your spindle runouts?