585,982 active members*
4,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Work Fixtures / Hold-Down Solutions > ideas for cheap/diy automatic clamping on lathe??

ideas for cheap/diy automatic clamping on lathe??

I'm working on an old cnc lathe and is trying to make it a little more useful, so right now I'm looking at automatic clamping systems. I'm just getting into pneumatics/ air powered stuff through M-code so it would be nice if I could somehow use it for this as well. I would prefer a chuck instead of collects since it's gonna work a wide range of diameters... Also I would like it to have a through-all bore so that a bar-feeder can (later) be attached at the rear end of the spindle. So any of you got any ideas? (I've got a fair level of machining skills and got access to mills and lathes, so DIY might be an option for at least parts of the project) thnx!

Re: ideas for cheap/diy automatic clamping on lathe??

Hi I think of similar There Are a lot of diy Power draw bar .
    I Do spindle Orient on an vmc Mill so my idea is to do spindle Orient on my lathe (Even Same Vfd ) and have the Chuck Key analoge to Power draw bar Turning right for closing and left for opening ..
    But i will Not have time to take that on have to do toolchanger First ..

That might be an idea, but not quite sure I fully get what you're saying..-how would you "connect "/"disconnect" the chuck key to/from the chuck when it's running?

(and funny I'm working on an ATC design for my mill as well +a turret with live tools for my lathe)

Hi simple a mecanic (equivalent of pneumatic drawbar on a vmc google it if you like ) where you have a Orient Step a Key down Action a Key turn Action for x seconds Key up
    And so on
    I dich an 8 Station design live Tooling Sounds interesting is it also like milling ? With extra axis or like Grind Action ?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Ok I'll look into that, just thinking you'd have to orient both the spindle /chuck and the drawbar since it has to be in the same direction as the chuck key analogue. The live tool-turret I'm working on is to go with spindle orientation so I can do milling operations in the chuck.

PS. I would gladly receive updates on your tool changer project as well thx

Hi i looked also into that live Tooling but i think Therefore you Need somehow be able to Break the spindle and Release in my setup the milling Forces would probably turn the spindle how do you Händle thst ? Bldc Drive ? And i will update on my Homepage and in december there should be more info Thomas

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk