584,826 active members*
5,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Gas engine to gas air compressor conversion

Gas engine to gas air compressor conversion

Does anyone have some experience with converting part of a small multi-cylinder engine to air compressor duty?

I'm thinking of something like a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine or maybe a small car engine. Perhaps 2 cylinders could pump air and 2 could remain gas powered.

I know it's been done on larger engines. Does anyone make compressor duty cams and manifolds for a smaller engine of some kind?

I've seen one cylinder of an engine used to compress air to inflate tyres so using one (4cyl) to supply compressed air does work...however wouldnt it be cheaper/easier to just use a petrol/diesel driven compressor? My thoughts being that usually if using more than one cylinder in a compressor there are 2 stages with differing bores/stroke primary and secondary. On a side note I had a Triumph Spitfire run on one cylinder when doing a compression test in the 70's....Not that i'm old :lol:
    Keith

I know there is a kit for a vw bug motor two cylinders for power and two for the compressor i think i saw it in some vw magazine years ago

Quote Originally Posted by roonster71 View Post
    I know there is a kit for a vw bug motor two cylinders for power and two for the compressor i think i saw it in some vw magazine years ago
    You rock! Thank you very much.

Air cooled is even smarter.

DR3 Series.

Dunn-Right home page