585,886 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > 1996 Hyundai HiTrol 15S CNC lathe w/ Siemens Sinumerik 840C Simodrive 611D rigid tap?

1996 Hyundai HiTrol 15S CNC lathe w/ Siemens Sinumerik 840C Simodrive 611D rigid tap?

Hello all, I have a Hyundai Hitrol 15S which I purchased used a couple of years ago. When I bought it I knew very little about G code, lathes or metalworking. In the time that I've owned it I've learned a considerable amount more than what I had already known which I've learned by reading forums and purchasing training courses available on ebay as well as watching dozens if not hundreds of youtube videos. One thing I cannot find is information on rigid tapping on this lathe and I seem to have reached a dead end.

Saved on the machine are several old programs from the original owner of the lathe which have a G code function "G36" in them. After some research it appears that G36 is the G code for rigid tapping on a Siemens 840C control which this machine has. Further research revealed that the machine is equipped with a spindle encoder which is required for rigid tapping but the ability to actually use rigid tapping is an option at the time of purchase which if not paid for it is not enabled in the control.

I was aware of what rigid tapping was when I bought the lathe but I did not know it was an option. When I bought it the previous owner had told me that it had rigid tapping which he purchased as an option in 2001. He had been given an updated 2001 manual which contains instructions regarding G36 being rigid tapping and how to use it. This syntax is similar to the code in the old programs left on the machine so it does appear that this machine at one time was able to rigid tap.

In any case, the machine was in a storage garage not under power when I purchased it. Because of this I bought it without seeing it run but I did get what I would consider a fair deal. When the machine was installed at my shop the battery backup was dead and all of the NC/PLC data had to be restored. Apparently the person who restored this data for me a couple of years ago has moved on as I cannot get in touch with him to find out if he restored the rigid tap NC data. I do not know anything about setting or viewing current NC data settings and I cannot find any documentation on how to do so. I have reached out to Siemens as well as Hyundai and each pointed me to the other. Siemens told me that the machine is so old that if they could find the documentation they would provide it to me free of charge but that was over a week ago and I doubt they looked for it other than the day I spoke with them. Hyundai told me something similar on Monday but with no response by yesterday I'm sure I'm a distant memory at best to them at this point.

I was wondering if anyone with expertise in the area who has or has had an 840c with rigid tapping could check a few of their NC settings for me. The three I currently need are MD-1260, MD-1320 and MD-1324. According to what limited information I could find around the web these are the three MD data settings which must be set to enable the use of G36 rigid tapping. Right now when I try to run any of the old programs with G36 or when I try to write my own I get an error saying the option is not enabled. I wouldn't mind paying someone to do this for me but finding someone who still supports this machine has been much more difficult than I would have anticipated.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: 1996 Hyundai HiTrol 15S CNC lathe w/ Siemens Sinumerik 840C Simodrive 611D rigid

I use this for tapping.

N0520N0780( 1/4 X 19 BSPP TAP )
    N0530G95S300T5D5M3
    N0540M8
    N0550 G0 X2.1 Z0.2
    N0560 X0.0
    N0570 R02=0.2 R03=-0.45 R06=0 R07=3
    N0580 R08=1 R09=0.0526 R10=0.2
    N0590 L84 P1
    N0600 M9

My lathe is supposed to have rigid tapping, but I must use a tens/comp. tap holder. R08=1 is with encoder.
    I'll check the settings when I have time.