584,861 active members*
4,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: Benchtop CNC enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Rotax91 View Post
    Hello. I got a reply back from 8020. They won't sell directly to people. You need to go thru a distributor. Can you please tell me who you went thru for your custom kit?
    8020 Inc Garage Sale on ebay has a LOT of items you may be able to build this with. They stock a lot of their items here so have a look around!

Fractional Metric Profiles Fasteners T-Nuts Brackets items in 8020 Aluminum T-slot Extrusions store on eBay!

Hope that helps-
    Dave
    Dave->..

My Low budget version

I'm going to give away the CAD files for this CNC enclosure. You can download this benchtop CNC enclosure here. It's the entire enclosure assembly (Solidworks files).

The Amazon bill of materials can be found on post #16.
    Alternatively, you can purchase the entire CNC enclosure (Part#FL21-061614), ready to assemble, all cut to size, from Dan Fanolla from F and L Industrial Solutions. Last quote he gave me was $1,380.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the CAD files and all the effort. This is sure to help.

When I get around to purchasing my Taig CNC mill, it sure looks like this would be the way to go WRT enclosure. Thanks a bunch for sharing this.

So, the dimensions of the enclosure are basically 27" deep and 46" wide, is that right?

What is the height? About 30" for the enclosure?

I'm getting close to the point that I'll be finally getting my Taig out of the box and setting it up, and this is an important data point!

Thanks!

NS
    NavyShooter...Death from a bar...One shot, one tequilla!
    B096 Mill (RF-31) SB 10K lathe, still deciding on the CNC Mill...please help!

Yes, F&L Industrial Solutions is one of 80/20's largest distributors and we support customers across North America that are building using 80/20 products. We have set up a special discount code for all CNC Zone users at our online website:

eStore:
    F&L Industrial Solutions Extrusion Shop | T-slot aluminum extrusion online shop by F&L Industrial Solutions, Inc

Discount Code:
    CNCzone2015

Enter this discount code when you checkout and you will receive a 10% discount for all orders during 2015.

NavyShooter,
    It's a little bigger than that. It's 68"H x 50"W x 30"D
    Interior main cavity is 33"H x 48"W x 27"D

Quote Originally Posted by Katana Man View Post
    I'm going to give away the CAD files for this CNC enclosure. You can download this benchtop CNC enclosure here. It's the entire enclosure assembly (Solidworks files).

The Amazon bill of materials can be found on post #16.
    Alternatively, you can purchase the entire CNC enclosure (Part#FL21-061614), ready to assemble, all cut to size, from Dan Fanolla from F and L Industrial Solutions. Last quote he gave me was $1,380.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing and i'm guessing these are fairly new version Solidworks saved files? Any chance of saving in a version my old 2004 software can read?

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    Thanks for sharing and i'm guessing these are fairly new version Solidworks saved files? Any chance of saving in a version my old 2004 software can read?
    The most current version of Solidworks eDrawings works if you just want to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by milliron View Post
    The most current version of Solidworks eDrawings works if you just want to look at them.
    Maybe if using Windows 7 or 8 or have a 64 bit OP - neither of which I have - I do have Solidworks 2004 and E Drwg Viewer 2006 hence the question.

Solidworks doesn't let you save down to an earlier version, so unless you upgrade your solidworks, it will be impossible for you to open these files as-is. However, someone could save this assembly as a step or iges file, then you could import into solidworks. These imported files will be dumb, with no features.

Ah well - not to worry! I hate inbuilt obsolescence!

do you guys thing this style stand/enclosure would work with a g0704? (I was told that the stand needs to be as heavy/rigid as possible)

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fpm06001 View Post
    do you guys thing this style stand/enclosure would work with a g0704? (I was told that the stand needs to be as heavy/rigid as possible)

thanks
    A t-slot aluminum stand can be made very sturdy and rigid for a machine base like this, and offers a lot of functionality - especially if you want it to add an enclosure or have anything different. So yes you have the choice of an aluminum or steel base for your machine. We can give you a free quote with a pencil or CAD drawing. Just go to our website and fill out the contact form: www.fandl8020.com No hard sales pitch, just providing an option.

I just bought a sheet of 18 gauge stainless and built a 27x44 inch pan (1.5" high walls) that is going to be the basis for my enclosure. I've still got to build the work-bench to go under it, but progress is being made. At last!

NS
    NavyShooter...Death from a bar...One shot, one tequilla!
    B096 Mill (RF-31) SB 10K lathe, still deciding on the CNC Mill...please help!

How did you guys seal up the bottom edges to stop coolant from running out?

Mine is 2 fold. The 80/20 I used is wider than the lip on the pan of the base. So there is no where for the coolant to sit and pool along the bottom of the enclosure. I also have a rubber gasket material that I got at Lowe's sandwiched between the pan top and the bottom of the 80/20. I maintain pressure on the seal with some clamps I engineered from some simple threaded rod, eye hooks and screen door corner brackets. All stuff you can grab from the hardware isle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enclosure_bracket.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	443.9 KB 
ID:	320128

Not as fancy as they should be for someone with a mill but they work.

very cool enclosure.

Great looking enclosure Katana Man, can I ask what you used to secure in the glass/acrylic panels into the 80/20 alloy frame. Do you have a link to what you used or something similar?

Page 2 of 3 123