585,925 active members*
3,308 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Welding aerostar frame

I have a 93 ford aerostar with 3 inch vertical crack on the driver side of the frame where it bends to go over the axle. Is it possible to weld this? I am concerned if the frame is heat treated and what problems this would cause. I don't know anything about welding but I have a friend who suggested I ask around if any one has luck welding a ford frame. Thank you for your help.
    Duff

I've seen frames welded on a number of vehicles(all Fords as a matter of fact) One was a '65 Galaxie 500 that had some frame rot from sitting in a barn for 10 years. Another was an L9000 tri-axle dump truck that had a cracked frame from being over loaded. In both cases a patch was welded over the area to add strength. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless your pretty handy with a welder. This isn't something you would want to "tack" together. :cheers:

I've rebuilt a number of cars bought from the insurance companies.
    A large number of them had frame problems, cracked, broken or bent, and had to be repaired.
    In order to get recertified the work had to be inspected, but there was never a problem.She's had it for about 10 years and loves it, no problems.

Here’s a list of rod that we used to repair GM frames and have seen no problems. I have repaired a lot of frames on pickups due to the fact Oilfield people love to overload and drive fast down dirt roads. All frames can be repaired it basically comes down to a liability issue whether someone will do it are not, So if you try to tackle the yourself here’s a few suggestions basically it’s just common sense.
    GMAW - Gas Metal Arc Welding use: Electrode E70S-3

SMAW - Shielded Metal Arc Welding use: Electrode E7018

Most improper frame welds occur at the end of the weld in areas of the frame that are under high stress. By eliminating the end of a weld, bad welds can be prevented. This can be done by making a hole or a slot in the part to be attached and then using a fillet weld around a slot to a plug weld. Do not leave a notch at the end of a weld.

Over-welding can be harmful, especially if you are welding an area of the frame that receives high concentrations of stress.

Small cracks in a crossmember may be welded. Keep the following items in mind when welding:

* The underbody may be covered with a protective wax coating. Use a wire brush in order to remove any concentration of wax before welding. When finished, coat the area with new protective wax.
    * Do not use oxyacetylene welding equipment.
    * Whenever possible, use smaller diameter electrodes and make several passes. This is preferred to using a large diameter electrode and making fewer passes.
    * Do not use more heat than is necessary to give good penetration.
    * Ensure that the weld is free from craters, undercuts, slag inclusions, and porosity.
    * Ensure that the scale is removed from each successive pass.
    * If repairing a crack, grind the surface of the weld flush with the parent material.
    * When mounting accessories, do not weld across the flanges.
    * When mounting accessories, do not weld within 19 mm (3/4 in) of a flange.
    * Do not weld up to the edge of a part being welded to a frame. Leave approximately 6 mm (0.25 in) between the end of the weld and the edge of a part being welded to a frame.
    * Do not weld cast brackets to the frame.
    * Do not weld the flanges of cracked reinforcements and base rails together.
    * Do not attach the ground cable to the engine. Connect the welding machine ground cables as close to the working area as possible.
    * Disconnect the vehicle battery.
    * Do not get the welding cables near the vehicle wiring. Avoid direct contact between the welding cables and any part of the vehicle.
    :cheers: hope it helps