585,973 active members*
4,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need endmill advice for x1

I have no experience with metal working, but intend to get my start with a x1 micromill from my local harbor freight. I need advice as far as what I will need as far as end mills. I will be mostly playing with aluminum, but will want to cut some brass.

Simpleton

I'd get a small selection. Stay with HSS to start with, much cheaper and less brittle than carbide. Get both 2 flute and four flute in, say, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 sizes. You might want a couple ball end mills also.

Karl

High speed steel is cheaper, but threw my blow moulding exp, you want to cut ally and brass with cbide for shore.Best to go for the high helix and make sure you have plenty of coolant. Kero makes for a good finnish and stops sticking.Also may be a half inch or 12mm tipped cutter.
    Do most rough stock work with a tipped cutter and you will save. $$$.
    Biggest problem i found is the tools getting blunt so have them coated a must and not much extra.

Down under.

Hi Jason,

Where are you sourcing your cutters from, in Australia or overseas?

I recently finished my X3 conversion, and looking for some tooling. I used HSS 3mm end mills on my X2 with a fair bit of success, but tossing up whether to go the carbide route, and wheer to get them from.

Pat

Hi Pat.

We mainly go through sandvick, But as they holed the market i try to lean towards the smaller guy. Kenna Metals or even some locals with anca tool and cutter grinders.

If your any good at grinding cbide stick thats a cheaper method, only they will not be coated.

Theres no way assie prices will come close to yank prices.
    We havent fully felt the brunt of india yet and china are struggiling to still get it right so the comp between cutter companys is not as strong as it could be.

Thanks for the info guys.

Can anyone recomend sources? I was hoping to find a cheap set or two I could order online. I'll probably be buying more than one of each as I figure I'm gonna break a lot of things before I get the hang of this.

There is a whole mess of stuff I still need, but its coming together. In fact digikey should be here today with parts for the driver I am building. I plan on picking up the mll as soon as I find one of thoes 20% coupons from harbor freight.

Check this one out. Even with shipping its way cheaper than buying locally in Europe.

http://www.discount-tools.com/

Get them to quote you on shipping to AUS, you might be surprised.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by patndel View Post
    Hi Jason,

Where are you sourcing your cutters from, in Australia or overseas?

I recently finished my X3 conversion, and looking for some tooling. I used HSS 3mm end mills on my X2 with a fair bit of success, but tossing up whether to go the carbide route, and wheer to get them from.

Pat

Try JTS Machinery & Supply
    www.jtsmachine.com
    1-800-321-3566

Best prices and good quality, Call and get their catalog.

Ron

Thanks guys,

I'll check out the links.

These are the guys I use for HSS bits in oz http://www.cvtech.com.au/estore/ (I thought it maybe useful)

Pat

Now that I'm cutting in earnest, I seem to have started wearing out some bits, as well as snapping them off!

I have been using some TiN coated 4-flute slot mills in 6082 with flood cooling - I seem to have got about 6-8 hours cutting out of my 6mm mill - it still cuts, but boy does it shriek! Am I right in thinking it's nearly dead?

I have also had a go at cutting some steel - I've blunted both a 5mm mill and a 5mm drill - neither cut at all anymore!

Is it worth me investing in some solid carbide cutters for my aluminium work, or should I just get used to getting through a lot of HSS mills? I do also need to do a little work in steel - HSS doesn't seem to last at all, how much better is carbide?

I read a few posts up that someone recommended getting an indexable carbide cutter for roughing and surfacing etc. Am I right in thinking they can't be plunged at all as they only cut at their edges, and as the smallest one I can find in MT2 is 3/4", is that worth trying at all on an X-1?

Finally, can anyone recommend a UK supplier other than ARC Eurotrade and Chronos?

Cheers.

"smallest one I can find in MT2 is 3/4", is that worth trying at all on an X-1?"
    I would not think it worthwhile to try, unless doing a very light skim cut.
    Solid carbide, while they can break off easily, are far and away a longer lasting end mill than HSS when cutting aluminum.
    One shot aluminum tooling jobs I can use HSS(or cobalt).
    Production aluminum machining is only solid carbide.
    Pres

Quote Originally Posted by Pres View Post
    "smallest one I can find in MT2 is 3/4", is that worth trying at all on an X-1?"
    I would not think it worthwhile to try, unless doing a very light skim cut.
    Solid carbide, while they can break off easily, are far and away a longer lasting end mill than HSS when cutting aluminum.
    One shot aluminum tooling jobs I can use HSS(or cobalt).
    Production aluminum machining is only solid carbide.
    Pres
    Thanks Pres :cheers:

digits
    try j&l industrial at least this will give you some idea of what's available
    machine mart do a set of mt2 collets for about £36
    indexable carbide is great for roughing
    i only really use carbide 2/3 flute cutters these days (kobelco mostly)
    expensive but as with most stuff you get what you pay for
    if going for coated cutters get the blue ones (TiCN) their less susceptable
    to pick up and welding ali to themselves.
    try running at 2000 rpm with coolant
    when cutting steel run at about 600rpm.
    if your cutters are shreiking try playing around with the speeds and feeds they sometimes make
    noise if they're not running hard enough.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE JEFFERS View Post
    digits
    try j&l industrial at least this will give you some idea of what's available
    machine mart do a set of mt2 collets for about £36
    indexable carbide is great for roughing
    i only really use carbide 2/3 flute cutters these days (kobelco mostly)
    expensive but as with most stuff you get what you pay for
    if going for coated cutters get the blue ones (TiCN) their less susceptable
    to pick up and welding ali to themselves.
    try running at 2000 rpm with coolant
    when cutting steel run at about 600rpm.
    if your cutters are shreiking try playing around with the speeds and feeds they sometimes make
    noise if they're not running hard enough.
    mike
    Cheers Mike - that is useful info

I'm really tempted to upgrade my X1's motor though, so larger mills might be useable after all.