584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Mister versus flood versus ??? coolant system

Question Mister versus flood versus ??? coolant system

I'm looking for a recommendation on a coolant system for A BP II CNC Knee Mill.
    * I don't particularly like the idea of a mister as I don't want to be inhaling the mist.
    * The flood type seems like it will be a mess and I have read that it gets all over the shop also. I would be willing to build a short Plexi cage around the table to catch the oil. This strikes me as the best coolant method, especially for CNC setups.
    * Just Air. This blows away the chips and it cools the end mill. Although I'm not sure it cools enough
    * It would be nice if I could turn it off and on via CNC control.

I would just rather buy some affordable system rather than make my own, although I would consider the DIY approach if there are no low cost options.

Recommendations? :cheers:

I built one of these myself:
    http://www.fogbuster.com/Frame.htm

I have a very similar mill. I use a very heavy mist. Its about as good as flood without the mess. And this unit doesn't fog the room. After years of using the inexpensive air misters, I got very sensitive to the fog.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by split63 View Post
    * It would be nice if I could turn it off and on via CNC control.
    Just put a solenoid in your line and use an M code to turn it on/off. I set mine up on M7 M9

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    I built one of these myself:
    http://www.fogbuster.com/Frame.htm
    Karl
    How is this different and do you have any plans?

Ah, you read my mind posting the image

One thing, this guy mentions how mist cooling is only 90% as effective as flood coolant. Given the minor amount of coolant with this no-fog approach, it must be much less effective also?

I setup a flood system on my BP 1 with a 5 gallon bucket and a $50 coolant pump for a bandsaw. It has worked great for me so far.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    I setup a flood system on my BP 1 with a 5 gallon bucket and a $50 coolant pump for a bandsaw. It has worked great for me so far.
    Matt
    Do you have a picture of your setup? What do you use as a nozzle? Which coolant do you use?

I cannot get a picture until the weekend at the earliest. It is a small 110V pump in the bottom of a 5 gsl bucket. The drain from my table goes into the bucket, through a screen and then recirculates. I have the normal flexy plastic nozzle which is screwed to the side of the head and plumbed to the pump. The coolant I use is the cheap stuff mcmaster sells, not sure the brand, etc.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by split63 View Post
    Ah, you read my mind posting the image

One thing, this guy mentions how mist cooling is only 90% as effective as flood coolant. Given the minor amount of coolant with this no-fog approach, it must be much less effective also?
    This no-fog sprayer is better than a mister because it uses more coolant, large droplets. You're certainly not up to the high pressure high volume flood coolant used in enclosed machining centers. But, I really like not have the full enclosure.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    Just put a solenoid in your line and use an M code to turn it on/off. I set mine up on M7 M9
    Karl this has caught my interest.

Where do you have the solenoid valve? Does it control both lines?
    If it only shuts off the 5 psi air flow, does the coolant continue to flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Where do you have the solenoid valve? Does it control both lines?
    If it only shuts off the 5 psi air flow, does the coolant continue to flow?
    Yes, it takes two solenoids with this mister. I put them on the column maybe three feet from the end.

Karl

Thanks for that Karl. I am thinking of a backward step from what you have done.

In my shed I have two mills and a lathe that get used ocasionaly and need coolent even more ocasionaly.
    So managing flood coolant is a pain.

What I would like to do is make one small unit like yours using a smalll gas bottle
    and moving it to a machine when needed.

So simple, read cheap would be good. One regulator.

I know this is disregarding your improvements but I think it would be quite adequate for my needs.

So do you have info on your first attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post

So do you have info on your first attempt?

Sure, Its exactly the same unit and bottle. I just added a second regulator for the improvement. Should be fine this way, but a little fog will be present. I am very intolerant of the fog.

Karl