584,829 active members*
4,879 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Speed pick-up

I am a newbie setting up a used 2010 Patriot VFD. It has never been wired for Mach 3 to control spindle speed so I am in the process of doing that. the tach pick-up on the lathe shaft only provides 1 pulse per revolution. As I am in the midst of modifying the machine, it would be easy to change the method of speed pick-up so that it would get many more pulses per revolution. I have not really used the machine yet. Would there be any advantage to doing this?

Also, there is a spare contact on the relay that selects lathe or mill motor. Would it be advantages to put a speed pick-up on the mill and route it through the relay?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Speed pick-up

My Patriot has sensors on the lathe and the mill. I would think yours does too if you can control the spindle speed through Mach3. I'm not sure what there would be to gain by adding additional sensors.

I think you could add more magnets to increase the number of pulses, but it would require a change in the Mach 3 setup as well. I don't see any real advantage to doing that, but some potential issues- you would need to have each pickup pretty precisely positioned at 180 degrees for 2 or 90 degrees for 4 to avoid errors.
    The newer machines have dual sensors, one on lathe and one on mill. These are wired to pins 1 and 2 on the Gecko. Your idea of using the unused contact on the relay would allow both sensors to connect to only 1 pin on the Gecko and save you one input pin for other uses. However, wiring the signal wire so close to the 3 phase high voltage lines could cause you problems of false triggering due to the voltage spikes. You can get the same result by ganging two switches together on the Lathe-Mill selector switch. The switches are a clever design which allows them to be joined together just by snapping another switch section to the back of the first. You would need one of the combo switches that is Normally Open on one side and Normally Closed on the other.

Hi Mccafferty. Congrats on the 2010. I have the 2010 model also. Just wanted to chime in as we can trade suggestions, improvements, etc. Mine was pretty abused but has come back to life really well. It has the Jensen DRO's , the 4th Axis, and the Thomson ball screws. How about yours? What CAM did you pick? Just curious. We went w/ Dolphin CAM. While I'm new to CNC and machining, we're actually making things and running CNC really well. Very fun stuff!

Hi Countryguy. Mine was hardly used manually and I don't think he really got it set up at all for CNC. I have the Jenix DRO and ball screws (I don't know what kind) Mine was significantly out of tram so the first thing I did was shim it back to true. I added a couple of the inexpensive WIKI DROs ($32 at Woodworkers Supply) to each end of the main beam. With it in tram, I can zero these DROs when I adjust it up and down. That way I can easily make sure it stays in tram and can tweak it a bit if necessary. Mine did not come with the spindle control wired for CNC so I am in the process of doing that.

I have had a significant woodworking shop for many years and since 2000, had a CNC router table. From the beginning, I have used Rhino for CAD and Visualmill/RhinoCAM for CAM. When I got the Patriot, I added the turning option to RhinoCAM. I haven't used it yet. I'm not for sure what I will do with the Patriot. I have always also been fond of metal working. Since the metal working doesn't mix well with the sawdust, I am in the process of setting up my garage as a small machine shop. I saved a past issue of Digital Machinist that has a Sterling Engine plan. When I get set up, I think I will try that to cut my teeth on.

I like all kinds of "making". I also have a couple of 3D printers. They are a lot of fun to build with as well.

Ouuu you said the Santa list thing.... 3D printer! I'll pop that Q onto a new thread maybe, but would love your insight into a 3D you could suggest for the Son and Myself. He's 17 and this is all turning into a Dad/Son adventure. And we're having a lot of fun. 3D is on our list for some smaller stuff we'd like to make.

As for your TRAM process... Would love to hear more about that. Iv'e torn my Mill down so many times now that I'm sure it's needed. There are a few shims under the saddle to ball screw.. Not sure of the shim process for tramming the rest? Since the kid is hitting on hard steel, I do brace the far side of the head beam (held by the blue support) from underneath w/ a hdyrl. jack. It helps w/ the vib/chatter..... But we cut pretty good on the 1045 now.

Ping me anytime as I'm almost always around online for work anyway. Ohh... If you need the IR sensor part# for the RPM setup that came w/ the CNC 2010 model let me know. I do have a post here somewhere. they are no longer made but have many direct replacement subts. I can shoot you some pictures of my setup if you wish. The IR sensors do run thru a small signal box of some sort. Never pulled the cover off.
    JT would tell ya what it does.

As for the RPM setup, there is an open contact I believe on one the "lathe / Mill" switchs on the front. You could route the two RPM signals thru that to your Geko. Then as you switch from Lathe to Mill the appropriate RPM signal is sent along. Anyway- Someone here suggested that. The post is on this forum someplace. Search my handle or ping me for it. Enjoy back to work for I.
    Jeff.