585,683 active members*
5,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Need a CAM program

Need a CAM program

My company is in the need of a 3d CAM program. We design in Solidworks '07
    I do 3D milling, cores & cavities, on a 3 axis Hurco. Right now I use MC 8 as a cam program thru an associate shop, I don't think the bosses are going to spring for a seat of MC X right now, $12,000. But we are doing more 3D work so we need our own program.

I am looking at Bobcad-cam, Onecnc, & Rhino as an alternative. I was trained in MC 5.5 at school in the mid '90's but was a manual machinist until 2002 were I taught myself MC 8 3D programming.

What are your suggestions?

How are the learning curves?

Thanks for any input
    SteveD.

If you prefer MasterCAM(as I do) I'd keep my eye on Ebay. On occasion there are shops that sell older versions oflegitimate and legal copies for a reduced rate. These are usually shops that are closing or have no need for the software... Have you priced out SurfCAM? I've heard that they have a very strong 3D package....

Hi Steve,

First, what part of KC are you in? I lived in Belton, Mo. for a while several years ago and did cabinet touch up and repair for Jenkins Music down on the Plaza! I worked all over the metro area, and that is a big area too!

Now to your question, as much as I love Rhino, it does not have cam that comes with it unless you purchase Rhinocam which is Visualmill and Rhino. I use Madcam with Rhino which is a plugin that sits inside of Rhino. I love it and for the money it simply cannot be beat.
    Here's you a link for pricing. There may be one more dealer that sell it for a little less but for the life of me I can't remember the name. Maybe someone else can help with that.

http://www.ob.com/catalog/madcam-rhi...dle-p-188.html

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Bobcad-cam, Onecnc, & Rhino is good software, but I feel you want some software you can expand in the feature. Since you are working with Solidwork I would recommend you go with Solidcam, Both of these software share some similarity it will make you learning curve easier. Keep everything same, so that you don't have run about try to convert one file to other..... .
    The best way to learn is trial error.