585,737 active members*
4,771 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Open Source ATC Spindle design

Open Source ATC Spindle design

I have been looking around for a ATC spindle High speed for a long time, and most of these spindles are in the $2500 and up range, I would like to propose if the gifted people here at this forum could help with designing a spindle with ATC High speed 8000 - 24000 (30000) rpm in the sub $1000 dollar range. I think that would give a lot people access to this.

I have saved up about $2500 but instead me investing it in buying one I am open to spend this money on design and building prototypes. I also would make the design complete open and accessible on the internet so everyone with the capabilities could make one them self. Maybe with parts to buy that are hard to manufacture.

I have access to make steel and other parts here in the US for a good price, I can do small runs of only 10 parts or less. Heat treatment is possible too.

As for the parameters of the spindle i would like to get it into the following range

800W to 1500W 60mm diameter spindle (water cooled is fine)
    8000 to 24000 RPM (30000)
    ISO tool holder changer (I have a source to buy empty tool holders 0.005 to 0.007mm runout)

ER11 and ER16 is possible
    max tool diameter 8 to 10mm would be great, Since these be used with smaller cutting tools

Please let me know if people here are interested and we could start design and make ATC spindles.
    I am not sure if it would be a smart way to take the china spindles and re purpose them as a ATC spindle.

Any help and criticism is helpful
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver

Re: Open Source ATC Spindle design

There's a reason that ATC spindles are expensive. Imo, building one is too difficult for an open source project to succeed. There just aren't enough people with the necessary skills and equipment.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Do you have any links to ATC spindles and systems in the 2500 to 3500 range? The only system I know of in that range is Midwest rapid tool for a little over 3000 for a complete system.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There's a reason that ATC spindles are expensive. Imo, building one is too difficult for an open source project to succeed. There just aren't enough people with the necessary skills and equipment.
    I do understand that, parts could be provided that are to difficult to make, I have a place where i can make them. I am thinking we need to start somewhere to get it done, and design is the first step, then prototypes and then a final design and a final spindle. The cost of the water-cooled normal spindles came down a lot, so it is the cost of other parts. Just trying to start somewhere.
    Hive 8 - G0704 CNC Mill - 20 inch Telescope - High Resolution 3D Printer - Lasersaur 100W CO2 Cutter / Engraver