584,863 active members*
4,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Brigeport DX-32 control retrofit to sigma 5 drives successful!!!!!

Brigeport DX-32 control retrofit to sigma 5 drives successful!!!!!

I own a sweet 1996 Bridgeport powerpath 15 lathe with DX-32 control. I hated the control when i 1st bought it but i learned to like it as time went on. Its not a mazak but it does have it pluses. The problem with this machine and just about every other aging piece of cnc equipment is the cost of control parts repair. If its Legacy you are going to pay though the nose for repair. As many of you are, I am a hobby/garage shop guy so huge repair bill are avoided as much as possible. I know by retrofitting just the servo system i am not replacing everything in the control but those are the most expensive parts to fix. The problem with having drives repaired is you are NOT getting a new drive for the $1400-$2000 they want to fix it. You are getting a drive that has had its weak link fixed. The rest of what they didnt replace is still 20 years old....they cycle continues. servos in this machine are $2200 each for a rebuild and the drives are $1400 each to rebuild. Thats $7200 to repair those 4 components. I bought Brand new Yaskawa sigma 5 servos and drives with the same ratings/specs as the old ones with the cables for $2300 shipped. You cannot just plug these into the machine and go but its really wasn't that hard to figure out.

Its possible to remove the old servo system and wires, without cutting even 1 wire! I took really good notes and pictures so just incase this didnt work i go back to the way it was.

1. 1st step was to remove old drives and cables. taking note how it was hooked up.

2. make panel to cover the holes in the control panel where old yaskawa CACR-SR drives once lived.

3. Mount new sigma 5 drives to panel

4. Remove old servos and install new sigma 5 ones. They are direct bolt on....same hole pattern, shaft size. The new servos are half the length as the old ones. Makes its easier to work on the X axis with the servo still bolted on.

5. Run purchased servo wires to the drives

6. Make CN1 cables. This is the labor intensive part of the job. The CN1 cables supplies the +-10 volt reference signal to the drives and passes encoder pulse to the AXS board. I located a place to buy the the encoder and ref signal connectors/pins so its plug and play without hacking into your old wiring. Servo ON, drive fault, drive reset and 24VDC also gets hooked into CN1. I made a pinout sheet that shows where they hook onto the sigma 5 CN1 connector.

7. The old yaskawa X servo had a 110VDC brake.....the sigma 5 has a 24VDC brake. Just need to take the 110 wires off the brake relay and wire in 24VDC.

8. Convert parameters from old cacr drives to the new sigma 5 drives. I got my hands on the yasakwa conversion sheet. you can download sigmawin+ from the yaskawa website for free. This lets you hook a computer to the drives using a USB cable.

9. Test encoder count in control.

10. Tune DX-32 control to new drives. The new drives behave very much like the old drives. They are very close.

The new servo system is much quieter than the old stuff. It seams to move smoother. Doing the last bit of tuning this week when i find the time. I ran a 3HR program and it gave me no errors. My POS-Error is very close where it should be. The rest of the control will die one day...when that day comes i will decide if i want to repair it or retrofit it to centroid....atleast the servo system will be recent.

My next project is to retrofit the spindle drive to a new yaskawa unit...pending if they can convert the parameters for me. a new spindle drive is aprox 2500. Im also going to add LED bar graph load meters to the control.

I expect to get 15-20 years out of the new electronics. I do not use this machine 40 hours a week. More like 1 hour.LOL

I extracted all the data out of the original hard drive using winimage. loaded that info onto a compact flash card and run a compact flash reader just like the centroid controls. This cost me aprox 20 bucks in hardware. I did that mod 3 years ago. Makes it easy to keep back up copies of the software. I replaced the motherboard with an industrial PC motherboard with a 266mhz processor. It really made the control run better and not lock up. I bought 3 of these boards and graphics cards brand new on ebay for a good deal. got lucky one day and bought a brand new keyboard for this machine on ebay for 12 bucks.LOL what a steal.

I replaced the computer power supply with a corsair unit. had to use ATX to AT adapter to hook it to the motherboard.

Machines that have Yaskawa sigma drives (sigma 1 or sigma 2) are even easier to retrofit because you can hook a cable to the old drives and use sigmawin to convert the parameters for you.

I spent a great deal of time doing research and comparing the specs of the old servo system to the new sigma 5 system. spend allot of time looking at the machine schematic and comparing wiring specs from the old drive to the new drives. I really did my homework on this before spending the money and risking killing a working machine. You dont need to be a master electronics guy to figure this stuff out but you will need to have some skills to pull this off. Ive retroffited 3 bridgeports to centroid systems.....I didnt have any trouble. The big thing is to take pictures of everything, record where wires went and double check all your connections to the AXS board....this is wired directly to the BMDC so you dont want to wire it wrong and burn the board up. The machine schematic gives you the pinout for the ref voltage connectors and the encoder feedback connectors.

Re: Brigeport DX-32 control retrofit to sigma 5 drives successful!!!!!

Yaskawa CACR boat anchor drive compared to Sigma 5

Remove old drives.

Making Mounting Plate for new drive

Mount new servos

Mount Drives

Make new CN1 connectors

Half way wired

Wire Drives into control

Jay,
    Excellent! If mine fails this is what I will do. I may need a copy of your notes some day. So far, mine is working. Other than the tail stock control deciding to go nuts one day, everything is still going,
    The next thing on my to do list is to convert one tool to coolant through (deep drilling). I'm sure you and others have already done this. Any tips would be welcome.
    You've got to admit, Yaskawa are the masters. I've been running my bridgeport TC2 mill for nine years. It has all Yaskawa. Still going. The spindle cartridge is about due for rebuild. Have you ever done this?
    I have only found one co. that does it, didn't seem too interested. I was thinking about rebuilding a spare cartridge myself.

I'll send updates on the coolant through, please keep us posted on performance of the drives.
    Tim

I did the same thing on my hardinge chnc, however the stuff I replaced was much older than your components. I tripled my rapids to 600 ipm, still slow compared to my newer lathe, but a much needed improvement. I used 1kw sigma 5 servos and drives. I ditched the old control and converted the the whole thing to run in linux cnc. The machine moves so much smoother than before. I used sigma win to set my inertia ratios and tuned the axis with linux.

Quote Originally Posted by alloy craft View Post
    I did the same thing on my hardinge chnc, however the stuff I replaced was much older than your components. I tripled my rapids to 600 ipm, still slow compared to my newer lathe, but a much needed improvement. I used 1kw sigma 5 servos and drives. I ditched the old control and converted the the whole thing to run in linux cnc. The machine moves so much smoother than before. I used sigma win to set my inertia ratios and tuned the axis with linux.[/URL]

Looks good. Yaskawa sigma 5 drives and servos are a real good deal when you buy them direct from china. They may be grey market but they are the exact same thing you get in the states just more than half off. My 850 watt servo and drive for the z axis was $910....the X axis with the brake was $1019

Old thread I know, but when you say you've retrofitted 3 Bridgeports, were they equipped with DX32 controls? My TC-22 is on the shortlist for getting a centroid conversion.
    Bridgeport TC-22, Landis 1-1/2, RF-45

The centroid control is pretty awesome and worth the money. do sigma 5 for sure.
    my controls were all heidenhain.
    I did put sigma 5 drives on my DX-32 powerpath 15 lathe. that worked great. made the machine reliable again and didnt cost me a dime because i sold the old servo system for good money.