584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > FlashCut CNC > Flashcut with Plasma - Don't want to pierce, Keep torch down with a nested pattern?

Flashcut with Plasma - Don't want to pierce, Keep torch down with a nested pattern?

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if there is a way (besides manually manipulating the g-code) to cut a nested pattern of shapes using Flashcut without having individual pierces for each part. It's hard on our torch to be piercing, it's slower, and we are wasting too much material by the time you account for pierce, leadin, etc.

Any ideas, let me know. Thanks!

Re: Flashcut with Plasma - Don't want to pierce, Keep torch down with a nested patter

What version of flashcut?

Re: Flashcut with Plasma - Don't want to pierce, Keep torch down with a nested patter

I am not aware of any "controller" that can ignore the G&M Code just by a flip of a switch..... What YOU are asking for regards most controllers, is something that would be controlled by how things are drawn and subsequent toolpaths created, or perhaps handled as an option in a forward thinking CAM program, where algorithms can put into place to specifically ignore any unnecessary z axis action specifically for plasma work.

It would be a challenge though as each item would not have a lead in and lead out on EACH side to cut to. If I HAD to do this now and with Flashcut (older version), I would just draw connectors between the items and that would take an awful lot of time on a large table of nested items.

If I were to ask for such an option, I would not hold back from asking Flashcut developers to peer into this as an option (if they do not already have it in their latest impeccable plasma specific control software). They have been very VERY innovative with their latest versions, and because they have integrated a fantastic CAM program into their control in latest versions, it is something that might be possible as long as you do not care exactly where your lead in/outs end up being.
    Chris L