585,925 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 14 311121314
    I made a very simple yet quite effective carrier. I can provide drawings if anyone is interested.
    WoodWorkerB
    HobbyCNC.com, WoodWorkerB.com

Looks pretty interesting. Are the side pieces just edge glued to the canvas?

In most of the pics, it looks like the sides of the flat base are straight cut. In one of them, it looks like it's chamfered at the same angle as the side pieces. What are they like?

Does the chain have any tendency to bend at an angle perpendicular to it's axis of motion? The canvas would twist, but maybe the fact that the bottom pieces practically butt together prevents any twist.

Cable Tray Details - Part II

I have documented the build in more detail. The tray consists of three main components:
    1. The actual "angled" cable tray
    2. The canvas "hinge"
    3. A square (not angled) bottom piece that prevents bending-backwards

The way the canvas is 'sandwiched' between the two pieces of wood, no twisting can occur. It is surprisingly sturdy. Of course, this design is not for a system that slings cutting fluids all over the place!
    WoodWorkerB
    HobbyCNC.com, WoodWorkerB.com

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Big S View Post
    Here is the new acrylic chain. It works really great, nothing is glued together but it takes a bit of tuning to get the offsets for the tight fit right. The red top plates are clear red acrylic as an experiment to see how it looked.

how do I go about uploading the dxf?

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/data/...m/DSC02735.JPG

Shannon.
    I know these chains can be rather spendy so let me ask you this, did you save any money taking the time to machine your own chain?

If you have your own machine then its doesn't cost anything apart from time...

Talking quick question

That's AWESOME, I have three machines so where do I get the free HDPE so that I can make some of these chains

hmmm there are ways about that... I made mine out of acrylic offcuts so they didnt cost me anything....

Usually, I don't concern myself how much time I spend building machines. But I had to draw the line here, and am going to purchase my chain. Even though the cost may end up being 5-10% of the total machine cost, I think the Igus chains are a much better choice for me, as they are stronger than a homebuilt chain, and will outlast the machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by tracyranson View Post
    That's AWESOME, I have three machines so where do I get the free HDPE so that I can make some of these chains
    I will look for some materials to recycle, good Idea. thanks for sharing

step down measurements

Quote Originally Posted by dpgoldberg View Post
    Here's my version of the cable chain. Based on the drawings provided by others on this thread (thank you!), I modified the design so that both limit stops for the flex are part of the sides, rather than a combination of the sides and the bottom plate. I also changed it so that the tabs were on the top and bottom plates and the notches in the sides. Made it a little easier to assemble.

I used ABS which could be glued together with a solvent cement. ABS is also a little bit more flexible than PVC which allowed the individual links to be assembled first, then snapped together after the cement had set.

I cost about $80 in materials (ABS ain't cheap!) and took a couple of days to make something I could have bought from McMAster Carr for $110. But I guess that's not the point is it? It's kinda cool to be able to point it out on the machine and say "I made that!".

Attached is the dxf file, designed for a 1/8" cutter.
    hi there I would like to try cutting this but i do not know the pocket depths could ypu please post them.Thanks for the file.

The pocket depth should be 1/2 the thickness of the material used, be sure to mic the thickness as materials vary in thickness.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Hello,

I have a little modifications of the base project of these types of cable carriers.
    I've tried to obtain a simple design which don't need to glue parts.

I propose a little bit different design here:

The cable carrier was just "released"
    I'll publish more detailed information ASAP.

I'll try to answer your questions here but full and faster support will be available on the project's website

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0k6SB9aH_0"]CNC Cable Carrier - HTM Modified Design - DIY - YouTube[/ame]

interzis

I just made 2 links of this and it works great!!! Will be making more when I make a trip to TAP plastics for supplies. Thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by atwooddon View Post
    interzis

I just made 2 links of this and it works great!!! Will be making more when I make a trip to TAP plastics for supplies. Thanks
    Don
    Hello Don,

I'm glad you like it. What material did you used?
    HTM.Ro - Hobby Tools Manufacturing

I had some junk 4mm material I had cut from a flat sided bucket that had cracked. I believe it is polypropylene (sp?) and a bit soft. I will buy some pvc, probably 1/8", when I get to TAP Plastics. I will probably also shorten the cross piece about 25% to make the chain fit my machine better.

Don

My idea is very simple and above all works really well. The best part is that for both Y(48") & X(34") axes it cost less than $10.00.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12J Cable Management.JPG   12M Cable Management.JPG   12N Cable Management.JPG  
    Nicolas

Good deal!

That's great and the time savings! what is the material? does it goes to the sides when moving? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodworksfla View Post
    That's great and the time savings! what is the material? does it goes to the sides when moving? thanks
    The material is 3" wide aluminum blind (blinds are concave and you need this for strength) and the trick is to secure both ends square to the axis. Then they roll nicely along with the axis - no side moves. I use 2 screws on each end to secure.
    Nicolas

Kolias, That flexible cable carrier is a great idea. We were and are one of the manufacturers for Hunter Douglas window coverings in the Houston area, so slat material is readily available. Is that a vertical blind slat in PVC or aluminum? Creative.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Kolias, That flexible cable carrier is a great idea. We were and are one of the manufacturers for Hunter Douglas window coverings in the Houston area, so slat material is readily available. Is that a vertical blind slat in PVC or aluminum? Creative.

That is from a spare vertical blind in aluminum I had and just happened the beige color was ok with my old machine. For my new machine which is made all in aluminum, I used paint remover to make the blind to its original aluminum color because at the store I was told they dont sell single slats - have to buy a whole window blind assembly
    Nicolas

Page 13 of 14 311121314