584,866 active members*
5,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Scaling Plans

I am the cad designer at Harper College and work with graphics and Autocad.
    I was also an scale boat modeler (years ago) and dreamed of being able to scale model plans into a larger model. With today's technology it's easier than you can imagine. Most blueprint reproduction companies are using KIPP machines that scan 36" wide prints and turn them into TIFF's or bitmaps at a resolution of 400 dpi for about $1.50 a page. Large files...but great price. These images (tiffs) are imported into Autocad as a raster image. Dimension and scale the image until you are happy with say... the length of the wingspan.... and everything on the SAME page is scaled exact. For multi-page prints it will be necessary to have an associated dimension that will transfer from page to page. This could be anything from a section view or profile, just as long as all the pages are scaled the same. Full scale plans are only limited by the size of your plotter. Most are 36" wide and handle 80-150' rolls of paper. Imagination will allow you to scale up to full size aircraft.. forgive me if I refuse to fly in it. With 3d you can study the aircraft on the screen before you actually build it. Hoped I helped some.
    Now that I've donated something and will help further if asked..... Does anyone have or know where to get a FULL set of plans for a cnc router table with XYZ axis's. By full I mean servo control wiring and where to connect the red wire to.

What size of table are you wanting to build? As far as the controlls and wiring, that depends on who you buy the controller from. I built my CNC from My head and looking around here on the zone. I few visits to the local scrap yard is where I found my rails and with a help from friends here on the zone. Give us an idea of length: Cut area on the x,y,and z.
    Here are a few pics of mine to get you in the understanding. Its not done yet. All I have to do is hook up the z and its cutting till my heart contempt.
    My specs are:
    X= 72" Y=48" Z= 5" ( Keep in mind that this is actual cutting specs not table size. Add about 8" to 12" to the X and Y.
    Controller is HobbyCNC 4aupc with 200oz Steppers and 42v Power supply.
    Check out Daves website @ www.hobbycnc.com . He has plans for a small scale router.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_52 View Post
    I am the cad designer at Harper College and work with graphics and Autocad.
    I was also an scale boat modeler (years ago) and dreamed of being able to scale model plans into a larger model. With today's technology it's easier than you can imagine. Most blueprint reproduction companies are using KIPP machines that scan 36" wide prints and turn them into TIFF's or bitmaps at a resolution of 400 dpi for about $1.50 a page. Large files...but great price. These images (tiffs) are imported into Autocad as a raster image. Dimension and scale the image until you are happy with say... the length of the wingspan.... and everything on the SAME page is scaled exact. For multi-page prints it will be necessary to have an associated dimension that will transfer from page to page. This could be anything from a section view or profile, just as long as all the pages are scaled the same. Full scale plans are only limited by the size of your plotter. Most are 36" wide and handle 80-150' rolls of paper. Imagination will allow you to scale up to full size aircraft.. forgive me if I refuse to fly in it. With 3d you can study the aircraft on the screen before you actually build it. Hoped I helped some.
    Now that I've donated something and will help further if asked..... Does anyone have or know where to get a FULL set of plans for a cnc router table with XYZ axis's. By full I mean servo control wiring and where to connect the red wire to.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Video 028_800x600.jpg   CNC Video 021_800x600.jpg  

Size needed

A table 48x96x5" cutting surface would be great. Ideally the controller would read direct dxf from Autocad. The design for the frame will be with 8020 and hopefully built with it as I can get my hands on scrap. When I get this thing built I will make the plans available here to anyone who needs them.

Hello Skipper,
    I bought and used a design from http://www.campbelldesigns.com/ There msut be dozens of his design in use. This is not a cheap unit but it is well designed. I changed a few things to make the construction easier for me and my machinery. I have since sold it and bought a commercial unit but my campbell router worked great. We just had a chance to get a faster machine for a good price and had no room for two.