584,805 active members*
5,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > using a data file for both 3D printer and CNC router , Converting file or ???

using a data file for both 3D printer and CNC router , Converting file or ???

I guess this is really about file conversion ,

We are converting an old CNC nameplate engraver to a 3D printer and also still use it as an engraver

How can we use the same data file in EPS or ??? , lets say the name "DOGBONE" , print it on the 3D printer

then run the router and cut it as a positive and also be able to cut a negative ( cavity )

The idea is to print "DOGBONE" on the 3d printer , see that it is OK, and then either cut 10 pieces out of wood or cut a cavity in MDF to make waxes to cast.....

I would not do his on every project, I just want the flexability to do all 3 things

My buddy who has build many 3D printers is doing most of the conversion , he knows 3D printing but not the CNC part .

Any advise appreciated

hopefully my discription is not "as clear as mud"

Re: using a data file for both 3D printer and CNC router , Converting file or ???

Guess you could use mach3 to control it. One of the slicer programs has mach3 support, don't remember if it was silc3r or kissslicer off hand. Mach 3 will engrave no problem since its just g code.

Re: using a data file for both 3D printer and CNC router , Converting file or ???

thanks......still getting it working

I would have thought it was just a conversion , tells you how little I know......but always trying to learn