585,762 active members*
4,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb V2XT Control Panel Updates

Hello all-

I'm planning on updating the control panels on my Bridgeport V2XT now that I have it running with Mach3. I have started laying out a few different panel options. Attached are my two most current efforts. I'm looking for your comments on what buttons you use the most, and more importantly, which buttons I have forgotten to add, as I don't want to make these panels a second time!

There is a small pendant like panel located on the front of the quill, about 5" x 6". This is where I plan on mounting the MPG and spindle controls. The monitor panel is much larger, about 13" x 18" and it's located on a swinging arm coming off the controls cabinet. There is a protected keyboard tray mounted just below this panel, and I already have a track ball adjacent to the keyboard.

What buttons have Mach3 users found the most useful when "broken out" from the keyboard/mouse? I assume the easiest way to connect these buttons is with a key grabber, but I'm curious if anyone has another way of accomplishing this.

If I have a MPG wheel to jog the axes, should I also plan on a joystick? I must admit I like the "coolness factor" of having a joystick, but is it practical or does an MPG (hand wheel) suffice?

I'm also interested in tips on milling your own circuit boards. Any good sources out there for this material? I would like it to be at least .06" think, maybe even .09" or .125". Also, I'm planning on using "snap action" circuit board switches, like the ones found in a mouse. I'd like to mount an LED adjacent to the switch inside the cabinet, so when that button is active, the LED would cause the engraved frosted plastic button to glow. Has anyone tried this approach? What are some good sources for this type of switch?

And for those who spotted the additional buttons, I may have a 4th axis (A) and possibly 5th axis (B) on this machine, as I have a couple rotary tables that may get motors attached in the future...

Thanks-
    NEATman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails main control panel.jpg   quill control panel 2.jpg