584,837 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Milling aluminum with desktop CNC router

Milling aluminum with desktop CNC router

I have a Mekanika benchtop cnc router and I'd like to mill some aluminum. The aluminum I want to mill is 3/8" thick and I want to cut a shape out of it (I'm actually making a part for my CNC machine). Here in is my problem. None of the end mills I have (I'm willing to purchase a new one for the job) will cut deep enough. I can use only endmills that have either 1/4" or 1/8" shafts (shanks?). Where can I get endmills for this job. I'd really like links to any suggestions as I really am a noob at this.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

Re: Milling aluminum with desktop CNC router

So long as you clear the swarf and use a lube, (WD40 works best although it stinks and is bad for you, I use lanolin myself), you can use any 1 or 2 flute carbide tipped or HSS router bit long enough. When doing aluminium it's more the lube stopping aluminium sticking to the cutter that helps get a good result.

You can of course buy metric endmills off Ebay for a few bucks as well.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Many places sell end mills, extended length end mills in .125 & .25. Have you tried Ebay? I would choose the .25 over the .125 every time if the part will allow it. Much more rigid end mill.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Make sure whatever you get is a center cutting bit.
    Lee

How can I tell if a bit I already have is a center cutting bit?

Jeff

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk Pro.

Most router bits are center cutting. They expect you to plunge cut. Not all end mills are designed that way. Some are designed only to cut on the edge of the profile. You would burn up a non center cutting end mill in a plunge cut.
    Lee

Centercutting endmills have a cutting edge all the way to the center, non centercutting generally have a hole in the center and won't work well for plunging into material.
    Hoss

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end_mill_center_vs_non-center_cutting.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	260964

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	end_mills_center_cut_non-center_cut.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	260966

Here's a couple links where you can get endmills with 1/4" shanks.
    2 Flute Carbide End Mill - Single End Uncoated - MariTool
    End Mills
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by zirt57 View Post
    I have a Mekanika benchtop cnc router and I'd like to mill some aluminum.
    I'm not familiar with that machine. However sadly many bench top routers will have a very hard time with aluminum. You need to be aware of this as you may not get the results you want.
    The aluminum I want to mill is 3/8" thick and I want to cut a shape out of it (I'm actually making a part for my CNC machine). Here in is my problem. None of the end mills I have (I'm willing to purchase a new one for the job) will cut deep enough. I can use only endmills that have either 1/4" or 1/8" shafts (shanks?). Where can I get endmills for this job.
    Any good supply house for the machining industry would do the trick. There are so many and more that a few local shops in every city. A couple of big names for catalog sales online include Travers, MSC and ENCO. There are many others though. What you want is a 1/4" diameter end mills in either two flute or single flute design. Most of them should have a cutting length suitable for 3/8", but you can verify that by looking at the cutters specs. B
    I'd really like links to any suggestions as I really am a noob at this.

Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    I'm not going to give a link to a specific cutter, you will need to make that choice based on your goals. Your best bet though is to choose cutters marketed for machining aluminum. By the way you can't hog this profile out in one go, with a 1/4" bit you would have to make several circuits around the profile adding depth for each swing around the part. Maybe 1/8" each time around and that would be aggressive.

Thanks guys. I found a local knowledgeable supplier. With the info I garnered here, I didn't sound like a total dork.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Oh. Below is an image of what I'm trying to cut. I did a test cut and it looks good.

Attachment 261338

Thanks guys. I found a local knowledgeable supplier. With the info I garnered here, I didn't sound like a total dork.
    Would you mind telling us what he sold you. It is helpful information especially if it works out well for you.
    Thanks again,

Jeff

Oh. Below is an image of what I'm trying to cut. I did a test cut and it looks good.

Attachment 261338

Cool! Looks like some sort of bearing bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Would you mind telling us what he sold you. It is helpful information especially if it works out well for you.

Cool! Looks like some sort of bearing bracket.
    What I ended up getting is a 1/8" 4 flute carbide plunging end mill. He said a 2 flute would be preferable but he didn't have any in stock. He said I could use this and speed things up to get larger chips.

The part is a bracket to attach my router bracket to. Much stronger than what came with the machine.

I've already cut the parts and am quite pleased with the results.

I'll post pictures later.

Jeff

What I ended up getting is a 1/8" 4 flute carbide plunging end mill. He said a 2 flute would be preferable but he didn't have any in stock. He said I could use this and speed things up to get larger chips.
    Sounds like the guy understands enough to realize there is a better solution for you. This is actually a good sign.
    The part is a bracket to attach my router bracket to. Much stronger than what came with the machine.

I've already cut the parts and am quite pleased with the results.

I'll post pictures later.

Jeff

Except for the part about getting larger chips.
    You get double the amount of chips, but they are half the size. You have to be weary of 4 flute router bits in aluminum. Especially if you do not know what grade of aluminum you are using. They can gum up quicker than two flutes in undesirable aluminum grades.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Except for the part about getting larger chips.
    You get double the amount of chips, but they are half the size. You have to be weary of 4 flute router bits in aluminum. Especially if you do not know what grade of aluminum you are using. They can gum up quicker than two flutes in undesirable aluminum grades.
    Very true with respect to gumming up stuff. I know at work I grab a can of WD 40 when doing aluminum even on a manual mill.

This is one reason why I'm cautious about people that want to do aluminum on their routers. It can be done but you really need the right end mills and more so some sort of lube/coolant. The high speed spindle don't help either if the machine can't maintain a proper feed rate.

Yeah, I ended up giving the bit a spray of WD40 every once in a while and had my compressor wand to clear out the bits (yes, face shield was a must). I don't plan on doing aluminum very often but the two brackets came out perfect. Nice to know I can mill aluminum for those "once off" items.

I'll post pictures later with the brackets mounted.