585,573 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Replacing a burned breakout board with a new one, please guide me!

Replacing a burned breakout board with a new one, please guide me!

Hello!
    Please bear with me!

I am about to replace a burned breakout board of my new HY3040 cnc machine with a new one I had available. I know that the new one is also a cheap board but until I find a quality work to order from China (yet with my little knowledge) I don't want to wait, but to use the machine.

I do not have documentation available for any of the boards! Yet worse: I even don't know the chipset of the boards. Well and that's the second reason I turned to the forum (the first is the very limited knowledge in electronics!).

What I have to do is to figure out the differences between the boards and then find the 1-1 relation of the pinout to wire all up.

Before, on my old 6040 machine, I used to easily change breakout board (once for testing this new board when I received it). It was easy as the wiring and pins easily matched: say, for the X I had 4 wires going from the breakout board to the controller board of the X motor.

However on the HY3040 machine things are different: the breakout board has some different wiring and it does not match with the controller described in the documentation that the seller sent to me with the machine!

1. While there where 4 wires going from the breakout board to the controller board (say XN, XD, XS, XE) in my 6040, the burned controller has only 2 wires leaving the breakout board for the motor controller and nothing is written around them. What should I suppose them to be please?

2. a double-row 2x10 female cable comes from the motor controller board to the breakout board (to a DC3-20P male connector). There is a printed area for the pinout (I will attach the photo). It brings 12v and a 23v and GND (because I see that power wires from the power block go directly to the motor controller board).
    This is the printed pinout there:
    BS, BD
    NC, RL
    XD, YS
    XS, YD
    XE, YE
    AD, ZS
    AS, ZD
    12, 12
    GD, GD
    VC, VC

(it is a single motor controller having 4 axis, and there is a separate 1 axis there but the machine has 3 axis installed only)
    At the corner of the burned breakout board, there is an area where the input

Now some questions:
    - As long as I can understand - and could be wrong with my guesses - here we have XS, XE and XD for the X axis, but why then only 2 wires go from the breakout to the X axis motor?
    - What are NC, RL, ZS, ZD?
    - Why there are 2 power lines (+23v and +12v) entering into a controller board that works and pulses only with 5v?
    - In assembling my new board, I suppose that I don't need either of +12v and +23v lines, but only GND and X,Y,Z control lines, as my new board gets +5v directly from PC USB port (as you can see on the photos). So I would need to wire only the following lines:
    X,Y,Z (2 lines per motor)
    GND
    Is this correct please?

My burned breakout board:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...6&d=1418781344

My new breakout board:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...4&d=1418783680

Thank you for bearing with me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old-burned-board.jpg   new-board.jpg  

Re: Replacing a burned breakout board with a new one, please guide me!

Kievari,

1: Instead of replacing the breakout board why not diagnose why the voltage regulator failed?

2: Replace the regulator and save yourself all the trouble of retrofitting the majority of the wiring.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.